Hey portrait shooters. Do any of you have suggestions for a line of make-up suitable for underwater use? I may be involved in a project that will require make-up under full face masks, and we don't want the stuff to be running everwhere. ![]()
- 18Posts
- 18Replies
Read-only discussion
Underwater make-up?
-
-
The makeup artist I use is named Sara Eudy - whatever she uses is awesome. Her email address is her name at gmail. I bet she'd be happy to give you some advice Eric.
Cheers
James
-
Flori Roberts (part of Lauder) was the first, in 1982, with Dermablend, which, because it has a very heavy pigment loading, was the first to use a dimethicone-silica copolymer, also making it "waterproof," requiring a special solvent remover. Keep Dermablend in the back of your mind, as it's handy to cover up birthmarks, tramp stamps (tattoos), burns, etc...
What are Waterproof Cosmetics? gives a quick overview.
Pool-proof: the new wave of waterproof cosmetics. This article has an extensive product list, as well as Do's & Don'ts.
When the women use the solvent remover repeatedly, it can cause skin irritation, so keep this in mind if your shoot extends over several days.
Also, be sure you take a few quick test shots underwater, as some pigments (or more accurately, pigment blends) exhibit metamericism, i.e. they change colors with different lighting sources, or more accurately, different lighting spectra.
Good luck in your shoot!
PS: In case you're wondering why I'm even answering, back in the early 80's my old girlfriend and I owned a cosmetic manufacturing & packaging company in Atlanta. Our signature product was nitrocellulose-based nail lacquer in 168 colors, including the world's first fluorescent colors (we got cerise and orange to work).

-
Thanks, Dan and James! I'll do some research based on your info...
-
Come on ERIC tell us the truth...the make up is really for you

-
Eric is trying to cover up his tramp stamp.

-
Eric,
I have been using MAC for all my underwater stuff - they call it semi-waterproof, but it sticks like baby dudu to a blanket and we have had no problems with running etc. On the contrary it takes time to get it off afterwards. It is also a good quality makeup so the models like using it. This last shoot I did was with this makeup.
-
Nice UW studio shots!
Were you using a black backdrop; or were these in the dead of night?
Do you have a snapshot of the lighting setup?
This last shoot I did was with this makeup. -
Nice UW studio shots!
Were you using a black backdrop; or were these in the dead of night?
Do you have a snapshot of the lighting setup?
Don't want to go off topic here, but thank you. Two strobes, one as fill; late afternoon /evening, black backdrop, moderate burning in in Photoshop.
-
MAC
Funny...I use MAC and never found anything but the foundation to be long lasting.

Wait, am I on wetpixel or make up alley?

-
They do make a semi-waterproof one which is apparently a little different to their regular line. They seem to last a few hours in the pool. There are more waterproof stage type make-ups, but they can look a little pasty, particularly up close.
-
Loftus,
Beautifully done shots. Your model looks as calm in the water as she could possibly be. Really well done. Serene and sensual.
Steve B)
-
Thank you; I have another shoot with her next weekend.
-
I've just done a test shoot with a model in a pool - spent 4 hours in the place and she used MAc make up. She only needed to reapply eyeliner once - the rest stayed on perfectly
-
Loftus,
beautiful shots. What was the lens you used?
-
Thank you; for now I've settled in with the Nikon 16mm. The Subal FE dome was designed specifically for this lens, and there is minimal distortion with the DX camera.
In the future I may try the 12-24 or 14-24 with the new 10" dome, but I don't think I can improve much on the 16mm for this type of work.
-
I looked at focal length in exif, noted 16mm and though it was 16mm FE. But I couldn't see any obvious distortion so I got confused. That's why I asked about the lens.
Thanks for info.
I'm trying to decide which lens to get next. I was thinking 16mm or Tokina 10-17 or Nikkor 20mm. Looking at these shots I lean toward 16mm especially that it fits the dome I already have.
-
I know it's off subject; but yes I would agree with the 16mm for this type of stuff. The 10-17mm would be my choice for general purpose including regular diving.