Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Web Hosting provider

Started by WaterWorks ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Web Hosting provider

11 posts
  1. Can anyone please advise as to their best choice for website hosting services -

     

    my present host is apparently the UK's number 1, however with only 250MB alloted storage I beg to differ....

     

    I am seeing loadsa different options for companies which offer giant storage capacity but my instincts tell me that nothing is for free and they probably screw you on monthly bandwidth allowance.... Last thing I want is for one person to download a video and then find that nobody else can until the next month!!!! :)

     

    Don't want to be using Youtube or suchlike - for obvious reasons.....

     

    looking for a healthy balance between budget, storage space, bandwidth etc.......

     

    Much appreciate any advise that you can all throw my way....

     

    Wagsy - what's your present standing on the old hosting offer that you had last year?

     

    Cheers for now everyone.....

  2. I use GoDaddy.com for hosting for myself and for my customers that don't host themselves. They start at US$3.95/month.

     

    As to bandwidth, sometimes I "stash" big files (like 25 MB movie files) elsewhere and link to them, to balance out the load.

     

    Hope this helps,

    Dan

  3. I use GoDaddy.com for hosting for myself and for my customers that don't host themselves. They start at US$3.95/month.

     

    As to bandwidth, sometimes I "stash" big files (like 25 MB movie files) elsewhere and link to them, to balance out the load.

     

    Hope this helps,

    Dan

     

     

    Cheers for the help, Dan..

     

    When "stashing" your clips - do you mean something like X-drive or suchlike?

     

    Chris

  4. I also use GoDaddy and have the "Economy Plan." 5GB storage & 250GB/month bandwidth

     

    If that is not enough storage/bandwidth, you may want to check out CacheFly.

  5. I also use GoDaddy and have the "Economy Plan." 5GB storage & 250GB/month bandwidth

     

    If that is not enough storage/bandwidth, you may want to check out CacheFly.

     

     

    GoDaddy seems quality!

     

    are their servers down often or what? I'm just waiting to find out the catch - seems to good to be true!

     

    cheers

  6. I also use GoDaddy and have the "Economy Plan." 5GB storage & 250GB/month bandwidth

     

    If that is not enough storage/bandwidth, you may want to check out CacheFly.

     

     

    just spotted that they only offer 10MB of email storage!?!?!?!? :):D

     

    ergh........

  7. Hi Chris!

     

    GoDaddy upped their transfer limits, so I don't need to do it any longer; but I used to move big movie clips to my old Comcast (cable modem provider) personal web space, which was not bandwidth capped... And one hop to the Pennsauken peering point.

     

    No, GoDaddy's server farm doesn't go down: They started out as a domain registry, and just grew and grew. For the last several years, they even bought Super Bowl TV commercials with the "GoDaddy Girls" which had to be, ahem, toned down.

     

    Their free 10 MB mailbox limit (100 MB per hosted Economy account) can be raised for a couple extra bucks; but you can also continue to use what you have now and simply set it up for forwarding.

     

    Cheers for the help, Dan..

     

    When "stashing" your clips - do you mean something like X-drive or suchlike?

     

    Wagsy: Thanks for the info on Hostican & Xilahosting... I bookmarked them.

  8. GoDaddy is fine, but my sister, who has lots of clients, says they can get a little slow because they offload databases.

     

    Top Ten Hosts

     

    After much research, I chose Blue Host for my last purchase. Powweb was great, but not so great since they got bought out. HostGator also gets high marks.

     

    More Reviews

  9. Websites hosting photographers' galleries generally don't need database functionality -- Or the RAM & CPU cycles that consumes. Instead, they need pretty robust connectivity to the backbone providers, since it's bandwidth intensive. (more)

     

    GoDaddy is fine, but my sister, who has lots of clients, says they can get a little slow because they offload databases.

     

    Thank you for the heads-up on GoDaddy, and the links to the ratings :P... I'll be reviewing them!

    Edited by Dan Schwartz
  10. cheers for all the pointers - peeps........

     

    will be heavily looking into all these choices and really look forward to uploading some "Wags-class" serious heavyweight MegaBytes......

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.