Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Isla Mujeres, MX 11/03- My First Video

Started by MyPC8MyBrain ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Isla Mujeres, MX 11/03- My First Video

5 posts
  1. I was able to dig up an Ikelite housing , and JVC DVM700 camera on Ebay.

    Shot and edited my first video yesterday.

    It was shallow so no accessory light was used, only the red correction filter.

     

    I understand that it is nowhere near the pro level some of you guys shoot here, but it's

    Kinda of like a baby, I have to love it because it's mine..no matter how ugly it is :-)

     

    It's my first... I think they will get better.

     

    Thoughts ?

  2. It's always fun watching your first few videos and no it's not too ugly :P

     

    I know when I started I got some pointers from boards like these that really helped me so here's a few that I can pass on. Try to keep the camera as steady as possible and avoid any fast movements. If you have to pan do it very,very slowly. Also try to get below or at least level to your subject rather than film them looking down. That way you are making the most of any available light and the footage looks a lot nicer generally anyway.

     

    The absolute main thing though is to have lots of fun filming underwater!! If you're doing that (which you obviously are) then you're winning already! :P

     

    Cheers, Simon

  3. Thanks Simon,

    I really wanted to shoot from level, but things were really flying on that dive. I couldn't get level for fear of crashing the reef.

     

    The night dive we did last night was even worse. Surge 5' back and forth... ugh. Some of the content I snagged will be fair even with the adverse conditions [ Ever have a sea turtle dive bomb you ? ]

     

    I'll post that up once the tequila wears off a bit :P

     

    Don

     

    Off from Isla Mujeres to Cozumel tomorrow ! Hope the wind slows a bit....

  4. Hiya Don

     

    Yeah I've had a turtle or two dive bomb me before - they especially like external red filters - that always seems to get their attention! :P

     

    Looking forward to seeing more.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. Don,

    I sent you something by PM that may help in the future. I ditto everything that Simon said. Welcome to the forum and to the incredibly crazy world of filming and editing.

    Steve B)

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.