Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Walking stick in the ocean?

Started by Islandbound ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Walking stick in the ocean?

4 posts
  1. During last nights dive I was watching some little crabs on a coral when I saw what at first appeared to be some detritus just inching its way down the coral. It appears to be segmented and fairly flexible and very very small. If the images posted here are not visible I can send the original images if necessary.

     

    2350080820100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2859380290100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2753653880100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

  2. Caprellid amphipod aka skeleton shrimp

  3. It's an amphipod in the family Caprellidae. These are commonly called skeleton or ghost shrimp even though they're not shrimp at all. Some are predators while others are micro-grazers on micro algae & organic film. The one you photographed has enormous antennae compared to its size.

     

    ( :P Hi Jim. )

    Edited by Leslie
  4. I spend hours in the ocean just looking and looking for something to stump all the brainiacs here on Wetpixel and my What-is-it questions are answered before I can refresh my screen... :-P

     

    (Hi Leslie, the fellow I am talking to is vacationing, err, working at DEMA and wont be back for a day or so.)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.