I'm sure glad I didn't read this underwater - I could never have stopped my mask flooding...
By all means, clear your mask before you get an eye infection :freak:
It is also obvious you know as little about your beloved MMII as you are ignorant about the Nikonos V. If you researched the book which you mentioned very little if anything was taken using an MMII.
You are quite right in that I have not used the Nikonos, and perhaps Joe Liburdi and his sons lied to me when I spoke to them about the MMII and the pictures that they have taken with it (I have been in the shop to talk to them many times, in fact buying my camera from Joe), but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
However, I don't think that anything I said belittled the Nikonos. I may have been incorrect in my statement about the electronics, and since I have not used both cameras, I will take you vastly superior experience with the two systems as a given and allow that the Nikonos has the better internals. However, what really has me scratching my head is your statement: ...what may seem like a drawback on Nikonos to you of not being able to change lenses underwater is not that much of a drawback at all. This seems important to some people I admit, but not to Nikonos users over the last 20 years.
This seems a little like me saying not having a backseat in my 2-seater isn't much of a drawback. I don't really have a choice there do I? There are times that a backseat would have been nice, but I don't have one, so I get by with what I have and don't really miss it. That 20 mm lens is nice, but it really is not all that wide and it does not provide enough magnification for real tight macro shots. With the Nikonos, you need to pick a set up and live with it during your entire dive. If you are a photographer who is very set on the types of photos you want to take and know your dive site, this is definitely the way to capture the best images. There is one photographer from whom I have purchased 5 images for my home and office, and he knows that on any one dive, he will shoot this one subject, for at least a full roll, often times with two or more rolls using multiple bodies. I have never been on a dive with a person like that. If I could pick any camera, I would likely buy an RS with a zoom or a housed SLR with a zoom so that I can capture the same range of photos on a single dive that I can capture with my MMII.
When I have been on dives with Nikonos users, I know that there have been plenty of photo opportunities that have gone by the wayside for them because the set-up they jumped in the water with was not correct for that shot. Does this make the MMII superior to the Nikonos, not in and of itself. However, this is a distinct advantage over the Nikonos, especially for a photographer like myself. I really love my MMII, but I am moving on. I have a housed Rebel G, which was the only housed SLR I can really afford at this time, and I am weighing the decision of whether or not to go digital, perhaps with a housed DSLR once they come out with full size imaging chips.
Right now for my Rebel, I have a port for the 50mm macro, which will limit me to a single set-up. Will I get by with that one lens choice? Sure. Will there be photos that I am able to capture with this set-up that would have been much more difficult with my MMII? Yes again. Will I miss the flexibility of my MMII on some dives as I pass up on shots where my setup will not give me the results I am looking for? For the third time, yes.
The Sea & Sea 16mm is not a proper lens - It is a converter lens that alters the primary lens via a puddle of water. In all honestly you cannot even compare a $200.00 flat fronted glass slab to a $1500 superior primary optic that professionals the world over swear-by?
I guess here, you answer your own question. I don't have the cash for a $1500 lens. Obviously the $1500 lens is superior. There is no doubt that the Nikonos optics are better. However, for about $2,000 I can get a brand new complete MMII kit, with the camera, wide angle, and macro lens, strobe and high-point view finder. Less if used. When the Nikonos was still being marketed, what would have been the price of this set-up? I guess that even you will concede that this flat fronted glass slab is at least decent seeing how: For a number of years I had my MMII shots published on a regular basis, so I know they are ok.
I don't want to get into a flame war, seeing how I am so very new to this message board, but I just think you were a tad bit harsh on me considering that you eventually seemed to say that the Nikonos is a better camera with much better optics, but the MMII can be more flexible and can still give you very nice photos. Not all that far from what I was saying.
That's about all I have...
- Matt