Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Faulty Ikelite sync cord!

Started by mejamman ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Faulty Ikelite sync cord!

6 posts
  1. I have purchased Ikelite housings for our Canon 20D and G9. Thanks all for your advice there. We also purchased D125 ettL strobe kit. I have a S&S YS90 DX stobe from my previous set up.

     

    My dilema, D125 works great with both housings. When I connect the YS90 with the recommended 4118.1 Ikilite sync cord / camera and strobe set on manual mode the strobe will not fire with either housing. When I set the srobe to slave it does fire with the flash of a camera.

     

    I think the sync cord is faulty / Called Ikilie, they told me it was highly unlikely and a that I had both cameras set up wrong. So, I did an ohm continuity test and I have cont. on one large pin and one center pin. There is no center pin connection on either housing. I think the cord is incorrectly wired.

     

    Please help with advice, we are leaving for Bonaire in two weeks.

     

    Thank you in advance, Mike

  2. You should buy a backup one in any case...Sync cords tend to fail at the worst possible moment! I would send it to Ikelite so they can test it. Let them know you are leaving in two weeks and they will probably get it back to you in time. They fixed my 8" dome in one day and shipped it back before a live-aboard trip!

  3. Always have a back-up sync cord. I used to lose an Ike sync cord every 2-3 trips. If you don't have a Seacam, you should have 2 spares! (Seacam sync cords are so expensive that no one can afford two spares. :) )

    Edited by echeng
  4. An uw photographer friend once said the following to me about sync cords:

     

    "Two is one and one is none"

     

    It makes perfect sense.

     

    I took his advice and bought a spare sync cord for $25 right here on the wetpixel classifieds. Sure as shootin', the sync cord I'd used previously that had never given me any problems failed right before a trip. My $25 investment saved the day. After this incident, his advice made complete sense to me.

  5. Hey all - thank you for your responses. I'll take your advice and get extra sync cords for both cameras.

  6. Thanks for the advise. Received a new sync cord and the YS90 works fine!

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.