Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Bizarre 'The Thing' like Critter

Started by indigo ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Bizarre 'The Thing' like Critter

4 posts
  1. 10th Nov 2007 / 19.30

    Location: St. Vincent, Critter Corner dive site

     

     

    I have checked in the all the books that I have in my dive shop, but I cant get an ID on this weird worm!

     

    It looks similar to 'The Thing' or Eunice worm, however it's body is made up of segmented sections with no legs to speak of. It's body is almost like thick set jello, and it is slightly sticky (like velcro) to touch. This one was about the same size as a kielbasa sausage, and not afraid of the light, however when I tried to get a closer shot its tentacles would withdraw and it would change direction, even though I was several inches away and not making physical contact.

     

    Any assistance in figuring out what this is would greatly appreciated!

     

     

    Kay Wilson

    post-7374-1194805039_thumb.jpg

    post-7374-1194805113_thumb.jpg

  2. Isn't it a sea cucumber?

     

    Rinjani

  3. Rinjaini's right. It's a very common holothuroid called the beaded sea cucumber, Euapta lappa. That velcro quality comes from hook-shaped spicules in the body wall that are too small to hurt you but hold on pretty well. They also fragment pretty easily. I've sorted through samples with hundreds of these only to end up covered with body parts.

  4. Leslie,

     

    Thanks for the info! I dive in and around St. Vincent (Caribbean) almost everyday as I own and operate a dive shop. My staff and I see lots of really amazing creatures, some common and others that are rare everywhere else but common here.

     

    This is the first time that I have seen this type of sea cucumber here, and I couldn't find it in Paul and Neds 'big book of marine life' - however I will go back and check in the morning.

     

    The guys in the shop will be happy to know that we have a name for this fellow!

     

    What I love about diving is that you never know what you will see! Thanks again for your advice, I'll keep looking for the unusual, and maybe I'll find something interesting for you!

     

    :)

     

    Regards,

     

    Kay Wilson

    Skype: kay.deborah.wilson

     

    www.indigodive.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.