Hi Ellen,
Here are my suggestions. I'm sure others will have different suggestions, but this is what works for me.
Calibrate your monitor.
Download the printer profile from Adorama for the printer and paper you'll be using.
Open the image.
Use unsharp mask: 120, .5, 0 as capture sharpening.
Resize it to 16x20 @ 220dpi or thereabouts. I think you should use Bicubic Smoother when resizing like this but can't remember.
<<<<Alternatively, don't resize it at all. Adorama may use their own upscaling algorithm which will work better than above. You should ask them. When I print w/ Mpix or Pictopia, I let them upsize my photos>>>>
Use unsharp mask with setting: 20, 30, 2 You may have to move the 30 setting up or down until you just start to see halos around edges in the image.
Go to "Proof Colors" (I think it's under Edit) and select the printer profile from Adorama. This will show you what the print will look like when it comes out.
Adjust saturation and curves/levels until it looks good again.
Go to Edit -> Convert to Profile and select the Adorama profile.
Save it as an 8 bit JPEG with highest quality.
You're done.
HTH
James
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've done some research and am in a bit of a quandry as to the best way to proceed.
First, I just got this MacBook Pro and not sure if I should go to the trouble of calibrating it. I've heard that laptop screens are notoriously bad at getting the color right. So, should I even bother? I was thinking of getting a desktop machine and would definitely calibrate the monitor for that. If I do calibrate my MB Pro, do you have any suggestions for the right calibration to use? BTW,it's a 15 inch screen with the newer LED technology.
I think, but am not sure, that the directions you gave me are for Photoshop. I currently don't own Photoshop, but I can see I need to purchase it soon 
I called Adorama and they suggested that I resize it myself. And they suggest 300 dpi. I did download the profile, but I was told that the printer profile only works using Photoshop. Another reason to buy Photoshop!
FWIW, they suggested the Metallic paper for excellent vibrant color, so I think I'll go with that.
Fortunately, I have a daughter in high school, so I can get Photoshop CS3 with the educational discount 
Again, thanks everyone, for the help.
Ellen