Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Copy and Compare Files

Started by vernonh ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Copy and Compare Files

4 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I have been running 2 X 500gb Hdd , 1 as original and 1 as backup but find that using Microsoft Explorer, I select everything on the orginal drive and copy and paste onto the backup drive... But the option to replace if it already exist is the only option...

     

    Does somebody know of or use a cheap , free utility to compare the 2 Hdd and only copy the differences?

     

    I wish Microsoft has the option to only copy the "new files" or changed files... based on name, file size etc...

     

    There must be tool utilities like this?

     

    I am not keem to use a backup software that stores the image in a different formats, I would like both file identical...

     

    I also dont have acess to Raid (mirror).

     

    I use USB to connect the 2 drives to my laptop.

     

    Any help/ assistance would be appreciated...

     

    Vernon

  2. Hi All

     

    I have been running 2 X 500gb Hdd , 1 as original and 1 as backup but find that using Microsoft Explorer, I select everything on the orginal drive and copy and paste onto the backup drive... But the option to replace if it already exist is the only option...

     

    Does somebody know of or use a cheap , free utility to compare the 2 Hdd and only copy the differences?

     

    I wish Microsoft has the option to only copy the "new files" or changed files... based on name, file size etc...

     

    There must be tool utilities like this?

     

    I am not keem to use a backup software that stores the image in a different formats, I would like both file identical...

     

    I also dont have acess to Raid (mirror).

     

    I use USB to connect the 2 drives to my laptop.

     

    Any help/ assistance would be appreciated...

     

    Vernon

     

    I am on a Mac most of the time, but the software included with OWC drives

     

    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

     

    That you can get here

     

    http://www.novastor.com/pcbackup/backup/features.html

     

    Usually works well. Probably others out there, like I said I am more familiar with the Mac ones, but I would guess some of the PC users may know which ones they like also.

  3. Doesn't microsoft back up do this ?

     

    it's free and i think has a smart backup ...

  4. On command prompt (start->run->cmd)

    Use xcopy command like that:

    xcopy /D /E /C /F /H /K /Y /Z <source folder>\* <destination folder>

    To see the options type: xcopy/?

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.