Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Windows, Photoshop & Color

Started by expatdiver ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Windows, Photoshop & Color

1 posts
  1. I hope someone can help me figure this out, because its driving me nuts.

     

    I cannot get windows and Photoshop to show images the same. I have tried to change the color settings in both, but nothing I do seems to have any effect.

     

    Here is an example of my problem:

    This is the image in its original state.

    post-4925-1194977044_thumb.jpg

     

    In this one I have cranked up the brightness to highlight the problem.

    post-4925-1194977060_thumb.jpg

     

    I did some touch up in the town to eliminate a few lights. The problem is that I wasn't paying attention to my "black" values when I was doing to touch ups. In Photoshop everything looked good (i.e. solid black), but when I looked at the saved JPEG in windows, I could barely make out the gray spots.

     

    I was working in CMYK, and think that may be where my problem is comming from. The dark areas have a value of 100,100,100,90, and the light areas are 75,68,67,90. I don't remember exactly how I was doing the editing, but have just noticed that if I convert the picture back to RGB and then back to CMYK, all of the black areas go to 75,68,67,90.

     

    So can someone please help me understand the whole RGB vs. CMYK thing? I don't mean in a physics sense, but in an editing, printing, displaying sense. Specifically, Windows vs. Photoshop. The reason I was working in CMYK was because I wanted to print the image, and I remember being told to work in CMYK if you are going to print the image.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.