Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Back from PNG

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Back from PNG

11 posts
  1. Just got back on Tues from three weeks shooting in PNG. The vis was pretty average for the last two weeks (heaps of plankton in the water), but really had chance to practise macro stuff in 30C water.

     

    This segment has just been chucked together, I have about twenty hours of footage both land and UW to plough through

     

    Have a look and as always I would like your comments and critisism

     

    Actually just looked at it again have no idea why I stuck the first shot in very shaky

     

     

    http://stage6.divx.com/user/jonnyshaw/vide...652/Diving-TUFI

     

    Jon

    Edited by jonny shaw
  2. What camera and housing Jonny? Some nice shots there but it's short. Looking forward to seeing more when you've got through it all.

     

    I like your brand name and logo (ginclearfilm).

  3. Shot with an HC 1 in an Ikelite housing,

     

    It's short just because I've only started going through the footage, I am producing a promo dvd for the resort so when I do the full version I will post that. Some of the land stuff is pretty cool too with all the traditional 'sing sing' It's just gonna take some time to put it all together.

     

    Thanks for the comments about ginclear, a mate came up with the idea and I'm just putting a website etc etc together.

     

    J

  4. Jonny looks nice some strong shots!

    Did you use a W/A lens on the Ikelite or just the HC1 and flat port?

    What about macro lens?

     

    Scott

  5. Scott,

     

    All flat port no wide angle due to probs discussed before. I actually took with me some diopters but due to a few bad timings never used them. Which is a shame, I would have liked to had seen the results.

     

    J

  6. Jonny, good stuff... The macro shots looked stunning with the window at full resolution on a large screen monitor... Look fwd to seeing the full footage.

  7. Hi Jon

     

    I really enjoyed the vid, but for some reason I couldn't help feeling that it felt a bit 'out of synch'. It was almost like the footage timing had slipped a bit and didn't fit in with the audio, but it's hard to describe exactly. Sorry I'm not really being much help here! :) Did anyone else notice it? Perhaps it was Stage6 as I've had a few problems watching on it recently.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  8. Simon,

    I actually think that you are right, I need to look at the audio. It is the first time I have edited with audio (don't really do much land shooting) and with the cross fading with drums etc I think what you are hearing is the overlap which is more pronounced due to the beat...

     

    I'll work on it...

     

    Thanks

     

    Jon

  9. Like the logo at the end mate, nice. The shots are OK but could do with a bit more stability. Its all just a matter of smooth handling which comes in time. Plus the smaller th unit the harder that is. Maybe try bastardizing a 'wing' type arrangement to steady things down.

     

    Nice macro shoots too. With control over all features, shutter, gain and manual focus ring, along with some nice achro diopters and lights, I reckon you could dial it in there mate.

     

    Like Simon said. Audio. If its a similar kind of montage you're after I suggest putting the audio track down first and then edit to that. The track dictates the edit. Take the choice clips and edit around them for the finished deal.

     

    Nice,

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
  10. I actually have been trying to work on stability heaps, I was watching a guy who was shooting for a Spanish docco and he nearly always found a spot to either put the camera down or used a tripod. He was shooting with a Z1 in Phenom and due to it's size it did look a bit more stable, but hey if you can do it with a smaller camera then it should only get easier.

    I am actually looking forward to getting my Canon in the water and hopefully due to the fact it is bigger it will be more stable.

     

     

    Thanks for the comments on the macro and thanks for your advice on a previous thread it helped.

     

     

     

    Thats good advice about the audio, I have always done it the opposite way and picked shots and then stuck on the audio. Your way sounds better, I have actually re-done a lot of the audio on this. I think that I was trying to dissolve one track into another like video.... but it doesn't work if the beat is off....

     

    I have also put a newer version on dix: http://stage6.divx.com/user/jonnyshaw/vide...apua-New-Guinea

     

    All good learning

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

    Edited by jonny shaw
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.