Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Ambient light technique with a tripod and P&S?

Started by oskar ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Ambient light technique with a tripod and P&S?

3 posts
  1. I have friends who quite successfully have taken UW photos of static motives using just a tripod with an Oly (7070 or 5050 i think, can't remember).

     

    The idea is of course to use the ambient light with very long exposure times. I have been thinking about getting the P&S Sea & Sea DX-G1, would there be any issues with this technique and this camera? I gather that the P&S cameras have more sensor noise than the typical SLR, but can you compensate with exposure time?

     

    How do you do practically in low-light situations? Can the camera meter accurately measure multiple second exposure times, or do you experiment a few times to get it right? I also imagine you have to manually lock focus at an estimated distance.

     

     

    Cheers

    O

  2. I've used this technique successfully in caves, setting up my Canon A630 on a tripod and waving my 10W HID around during the exposure.

     

    Here's some examples:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7308212@N05/s...57601602258162/

     

    All you'll really need is a compact digital with full manual mode, or one with a special setting that allows 10 second or longer exposures. I think I just used 15 second exposures and experimented with the aperture and ISO until they came out correctly exposed. (This was in complete darkness, other than my torch beam.)

  3. Nice shots, goes to show what you can do with simple tools and imagination; guess it proves that any light is light.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.