Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

SB80DX Strobe Housing

Started by donauw ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

SB80DX Strobe Housing

3 posts
  1. Subal now has a housing for the SB80DX strobe - which will allow "TTL" with the Nikon D100. Has anyone had experience with this strobe underwater? Is it worth the $$$ (and the hassle of either getting new synch cables or taping over contacts when using other strobes)?

     

    Regards,

  2. Hi Don,

     

    Alex Mustard is using that exact same setup with his D100. He is in Grand Cayman, but hopefully he will respond when he gets a chance.

     

    I have tried using a housed SB28DX with my S2pro and it works great for macro. I don't have a D100 though.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I am using Subal's old tubular black plastic flash housing, which was originally developed for the SB24 and SB26 but also fits the SB28 and SB80DX! There are quite a few available on the second hand market (in the UK, at least).

     

    I guess, Don, that you are referring to the new SN80 housing? I haven't seen it yet. But have heard it offers full control over the flash.

     

    My housing offers no control over the flash and you have to remember to switch it on before the dive.

     

    I have found that DTTL works really well. Used it to shoot 70 keeper shots of fish on this afternoon's dive with Sigma 28-70mm.

     

    So in short the kit works. But TTL is not essential (as we all know) for digital. But I have to say that given the option, I much prefer it.

     

    You can judge the results from today at

     

    http://homepage.mac.com/mustardoni/

     

    Alex

     

    Be aware that once you wire a D100 or D1 housing for DTTL it will not let you fire Nikonos guns (even in manual)!

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.