Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

New shark catching toy! Yay!

Started by Scuba_SI ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

New shark catching toy! Yay!

3 posts
  1. Fancy getting a cool toy for your kid this Christmas:

     

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mattel-K9947-Match...k/dp/B000OC2W50

     

    Complete with harpoon. I particularly like the last image in the little slideshow there; the shark 'post capture'

     

    Lots of kids will probably love this, as they love sharks and their big teeth etc. It is kinda wrong.... But would a kid understand?

     

    I'm on the fence - Jaws was a lot worse! My 6yr old nephew dreams about wrestling sharks, not killing them, and i hope as he gets older he will start to understand their plight a little more, hopefully by coming out to see me and seeing some sharks in the wild. I'm sure he will ask me to get him this for christmas, is it harmless fun or an abhorrent toy?

     

    There has been criticism, this lady is annoyed because she feels it is too much like whaling:

     

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4261601a11.html

     

     

    Besides, it probably has lead paint on it too :)

  2. Besides, it probably has lead paint on it too :(

     

    Naw, no lead paint... but if you lick the shark toy, it turns into rohypnol... :angry:

  3. I guess we have further to go to protect the oceans than I wanted to believe. By the way, if you want to enter a review of the toy you'll need to go to the correct Amazon portal. Referenced above is the UK site. Someone from that side of the pond needs to go in and respond to the one unfortunate soul who rated it highly. I checked and it's the only review he's ever made. Probably the jerk who designed it or the marketing genius. On the US site one mom wrote;

     

     

     

    "Bought this for my 6 year old boy and it was the clear winner from all of his BD gifts. He couldn't wait to start playing with it. It has a lot of variations to toy around with and he particularly enjoys having the shark eat the captain, which is foundly named Captain "Crunch".

     

     

     

    I like this kid.

     

     

     

    Steve

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.