I brought up this issue a few months ago before I had my D100, and got very little interest. SInce we have a few more advanced shooters shooting digital, I'll raise it again to see if anyone can help (or at least sympathize).
In my minds eye I've visualized wide angle shots of divers carrying cameras with the slaves firing, yet I've had great difficulty achieving this effect. The problem is that the diver has to be close enough to trigger his strobe, yet the strobe has to be dim enough and angled away to prevent blowout. My solutions have been 3 -
1) shoot on high viz bright days so I can close down my aperture and still get decent background color:
The above is still quite blown out, but one of the better images I've captured.
2) Point the strobes dramatically away from the camera:
3) Use a video camera and lights (kind of expensive to keep this housing as a prop, though)
4) Give it up!
I've tried lots of different angles with difficulty. I'm trying to get my buddy to use his SB105s which can slave down to 1/16 - he's been using one 105 and one ys120 which only goes down to half. The 105 is better, but still blows out. I'm thinking 2 105s at 1/16 with diffusers on - or maybe we need to make superdiffusers that are more opaque - any suggestions. Does Sea and Sea make more potent diffusers than the ones that come with the strobes? Maybe a diffuser under a snook :freak:
Hi Kasey,
Just like you said, I can only sympathize . I tried to catch the same effect last week, my friend with
a nikonos and 2 105's set to slave 1\16 with diffuser. here are 2 examples. I can't say I'm satisfied
from the results. This one looks blowout.
And this one is after asking my friend to aim both flashes differently.
Both pictures are within a range of 3-5 feet.
Strobes with modelling lights work best. Here is a shot of Eric taken at about 45' f3.3 @ 1/60th ISO100
Low f-number and not blown out. Very dark water contrast to the lights and still looks good.
Cheers
James
Eric is a much better photographer than model
Heh,
"Yeah, I saw this really cool boulder that I wanted to get a shot of so I used Eric as a model to make the shot more interesting..."
More like - I wanted to get a good photo of Eric with his new drysuit gloves because he asked me to...:-)
Cheers
James
He needed his scarf. Then you have a model. hehe
Hey don't knock the blue gloves. You can never be too warm on a dive.
I'm thinking 2 105s at 1/16 with diffusers on - or maybe we need to make superdiffusers that are more opaque - any suggestions. Does Sea and Sea make more potent diffusers than the ones that come with the strobes? Maybe a diffuser under a snook :freak:
Goto a local art supply storre and buy some red colored over head paper ( or what ever colour you like) Take the diffuser and trace it out. Cut out the over head paper and place it on the strobe then take a piece of NORMAL terry cloth towel and do the same thing. Place the diffuser on top of the two layers and there you go....Should cut the strobe, assuming it is a Nikonos 105 by 2 stops. Remember to place the strobe at 1/16. I like the soft red glow the strobe gives...it adds warm. This is a Cathy Curch special.