This is a fascinating debate,
John B makes the point that you should "never mix with amateurs.. I'm always competing with amateurs." I guess I fall into that category, I'm an amateur, but at what point do I become professional? Here's a few more questions to muddy the waters:
How many years do you work until you are professional?
How much do you have to get paid a year until you are professional? Or is it based on the number of payments you have received?
If you have a full time "main" career, does that mean everything you do in this world is amateur?
There are loads of other questions that muddy the waters further, but from my perspective, I guess the point is, that while there are going to be more and more photographers out there, taking outstanding photographs, they will be looking for a forum to get them published. And while they build up a clip file they may be prepared to let them go for nothing just to have a photo credit. At some point they will be in a position to demand payment, but until that point, they will have to work really hard to build up a reputation. I guess it also depends on what their goals were, if it is too make money, then they are in the wrong world, if it is to share their photographs, then they may continue to do their "work" for nothing.
I'm now in the position where I would expect and demand payment for any of my work to be published. Twelve years ago, I was just thrilled to see it in print. Saying that, the rate UK magazines pay hasn't changed much in a decade, but that isn't why I do it, this is my "hobby," I get a lot of satisfaction from it and I'm proud to be associated with the diving media. And the reason I'm an amateur competing with professionals? Because I can!
best regards and warm wishes to all, amateurs and professionals
Brendan O'Brien