Hi, I am new to this forum and have ben sent here via Jack & Sue Drafahl's book. I have searched this forum and reas most of what I could find on equipment for newbies, found a lot of info but felt a need to ask the question all the same.
As an insight, I have been diving all around the world since 1982, have a large array of land based photographic equipment, most of it based on Landscape and animal photography. I currently have a Pentax SF1 film SLR, Canon Elan7 and a backup digital point and shoot (Canon a630). I am at the point where I am going to move from film to digital for my land based photography.
I have not done any underwater photography, and need to buy enough equipment that will take care of my needs over the next 4 years. In November 2008 my wife and I are embarking on a 4 year around the world cruise starting in Ft Laurderdale, Fl, on our 42 ft catamaran and will be diving in just about every place possible. Most of the dives will be under 60 ft, but I will do a nitrox dive at the Blue Hole in Belize.
I need to setup my equipment so that it wil last and work in just about every environment, it needs to be digital, but not neccessarily dSLR. From my readings I have found that a good P&S will work pretty well and that dSlr's and casings get pretty bulky. Cost is not an issue, well it is in the sense that I do not want to spend stupid amounts of money on equipment, but Ihave to buy what will take care of the trip. I expect to have to replace at least 1 camera due to stupidity, the learning curve, flooding etc.
Based on what I intend to do can any of you long time photographers recommend an good equipment base. I have looked at Ikelight and Sea& Sea, but I really do not know where to start insomuch as do I go the dSLR route or the point and shoot route or maybe a combination.
Also lense and filter suggestions would be most welcome as most of my stuff is either tokina zoom lenses and fixed focal length stuff at 500mm and more.
Thanks for the help.
Gavin Slabbert