Now all of the sudden, today, my FCP timeline is green instead of black - So, if I leave a space in the timeline, it shows up green??? It's a real pain actually. Looked it up on Apple - and seems as though it could have been software update issues?
I repaired permissions and no change. Any ideas?
Mahalos
Bryce
Now all of the sudden, today, my FCP timeline is green instead of black - So, if I leave a space in the timeline, it shows up green??? It's a real pain actually. Looked it up on Apple - and seems as though it could have been software update issues?
I repaired permissions and no change. Any ideas?
Mahalos
Bryce
Sounds like a codec became corrupted somewhere. You can try deleting preferences (and also render files), that can sometimes help. Otherwise you many need to reinstall Final Cut. There was some strangeness with QuickTime 7.3 I think which caused issues.
Before you trash your preferences, if you have previously downloaded the free Final Cut Rescue, close FC and go to that and click on 'Restore'. If you haven't gotten Rescue, I would suggest, that for the future you get it, and did I mention that it is free? (There is word out that Rescue might not be working right now within the Leopard OS, but if you are on Tiger, it should work perfectly. There are 2 rescues out now, one for FC 5 and the other for 6. Assuming that you don't have it, shut down FC and reboot it. Is the slug still green? Is there anything else that seems out of whack in your sequence? I don't think this is a QT issue but trashing preferences at this point may be the thing to do. I attached a chart just in case you're not sure how to.
Steve B)
Thanks for the advice Steve - but, trashing the preferences didn't work. I'm going to go and look for the Rescue program now but for the time being - all green screens. Really a pain as I need to create a title then erase the text - and copy and paste new ones everywhere I want a black space in the trailer. Just annoying really.
Everything else is in order - it's a bit slower right now and is constantly "preparing video for display." So, something's definitely off. I'll try Rescue and give you a report.
Apple website has something about QT update and this green screen issue as well. ???????
Here's the url for rescue....http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14729
Using it now won't do you any good, but once you have things up and running the right way then use it for the future. What version of FC are you using?
At this stage, post your problem on the discussions forum of the www.kenstone.net site. Write the computer, os, fc version that you are using. Include what you have already done. My guess is that you will have a good answer in no time. I rely upon that site whenever I have a problem which, fortunately, is not often. Another reason I haven't installed Leopard yet. Don't want any either
Steve B)
Is it just green instead of black on the timeline? Is the footage ok?
It isn't something silly like you have changed the background colour on the timeline?
Jon
Apple website has something about QT update and this green screen issue as well. ???????
Yup, there were/are some issues with QT and flavors of FCP/OS. Which computer are you using, OS, FCP version and QT version?
I in fact just had the same issue on a PowerBook out of nowhere, did a clean install and double checked to make sure that all updates were there and it is working again (knock on wood )
As an aside, always try to make a clone of your system drive when it is stable to do a roll back if needed.
Didn't really want to do a re-install, but maybe have to...Johnny - no it's definitely something else - the footage looks great and no other issues really. As stated, it's slower than before for sure.
Here's my setup.
Tiger
10.4.11
Dual 2GHZ PowerPC G5
4GB Ram
FCP 5
Haven't got the new FCP or Leopard yet....but somehow, must have done a QT update (I never hesitate when it asks) recently and it may have made it bug out.
You don't say what version of QT you are using, that might provide some additional insight as there were some bugs. I double checked and there are no areas where you can designate the slug to be another color by default. That doesn't mean you couldn't color correct it to something else, tho I've not done that before.
Best check on the Apple site before you purchase Leopard. It may not be compatible with the older Power PC G5s. If it is, you may look into getting a new video card at the same time. Leopard came installed on my new Macbook Pro and I've had no problems, but I am waiting until Leopard gets itself straightened out before I install it on the Mac Pro.
Steve B)
Didn't really want to do a re-install, but maybe have to...Johnny - no it's definitely something else - the footage looks great and no other issues really. As stated, it's slower than before for sure.
Here's my setup.
Tiger
10.4.11
Dual 2GHZ PowerPC G5
4GB Ram
FCP 5
Haven't got the new FCP or Leopard yet....but somehow, must have done a QT update (I never hesitate when it asks) recently and it may have made it bug out.
To add to what Steve said, QT 7.3 seemed to have issues with 5.0.x and some 5.1.x. where the green slug happens. Seems to be a Codec issue. I poked around and did not see a rollback/unistaller to earlier versions of QT off of Tiger. Also I would hold off on Leopard a bit also for a production machine.
I had this happen on my PowerBook also. Since I was going to travel with it for an upcoming trip and needed room I backed up the drive and just did a fresh install of everything, so far no problems (knock on wood). The only other time I had green issues were when there were Codec issues.
Thanks for posting those threads Drew, apparantlly this is a bigger problem than I thought. It's also the first time I've heard of Rescue not working for someone or having to run it twice. In all these years, I've only needed to use restore once and it worked perfectly. Never the less, I encourage anyone who buys a Mac to purchase the extended warranty, it pays for itself.
Steve B)
Bryce,
Did you get this fixed in the end?
Jon
Johnny - still have the issue. Just gave up on caring about it really as the rest of FCP works fine. It's just an inconvenience and I haven't had the time to worry about it as I'm finishing up some stuff right now.
If/when I figure something out, I'll post it here.....