Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need S2 Housing Advice

Started by DaveH ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Need S2 Housing Advice

8 posts
  1. I intend to house my Fuji S2 and need advice about housing options. I have prevously used Nikon 601/Ikelite MD, F4/Aquatica, Canon G2/Ikelite, and Nikon RS setups, so I am somewhat familiar with the characteristics of these combinations. I have no experience with other housing manufacturers but would like to learn about them before making another housing purchase.

     

    I do a lot of Macro shooting, and have enjoyed using 2X multipliers in the past. Any advice about housing options would be appreciated.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Dave Harrison

  2. Right now there is only one real option on the market - and that is the Ikelite housing. Well priced and reasonable quality. It is a little bulky, and it has it faults, but over all a really nice housing that I have had great success with.

     

    Seacam released a housing, but availability is debatable (expect 3 months lead time minimum for delivery, possibly more). Also we are talking huge $$$ - $3000+ for the housing alone. It is a piece of art posing as a housing. High quality, optical glass ports ($1000 for a dome port), but unreasonable for digital when you could consider the speed things upgrade. Could justify it for film when it was likely I could use the housing for a few years, but not when I expect to upgrade within a year or two.

     

    There is at least two or three housings not too far away. Aquatica is getting closer from all reports and is defineltly making a housing and there is still rumours that maybe Subal or Nexus may still make a housing.

     

    The Sea & Sea housing will be no better than the Ikelite, but will have a larger price tag, so unless you already have Sea & Sea ports I would probably avoid it.

     

    So in the end it depends on your timing. If you need something now, Ikelite is the way to go IMHO. If you have time to wait, then the choices are wider. Love the camera, like the Ikelite housing. I will be investigating each new option as it becomes available to see if it is worth the upgrade.

     

    And if you are rich you can own a Seacam (perhaps)

     

    If you have any questions, let me know.

     

    M

  3. If you've been using an F4/Aquatica then any other housing will seem small...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. On housing the S2.....

    Aquatica is defenitely the forerunner in the aluminum housing department.

    They will be showcasing the prototype at Our World Underwater in Chicago this comming 25.26.27 April.

    I will then review the complete package and as always post it first here on the wetpixel site.

    Regarding pricing: It will be more or less the same as the AD100 - $1895 for the housing and $350 for the 8" port....again their price for value will be unmatched...

     

    Any questions?

    Contact me off list: mauricio@handlerphoto.com

     

     

    All the best

  5. Now you can try out the TTL Mauricio...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. If you've been using an F4/Aquatica then any other housing will seem small...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

    I see Mauricio was here, but missed the opportunity to point out to James that an f4/Aquatica is a baby when compared to a RZ67/Aquatica :)

  7. I've seen some of Drew's photos of Mauricio with that big Aquatica housing. It's as big (bigger) than a basketball!!!!

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Looky here. That's leaving out the HD video cameras. Then there's IMAX.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.