Although I edit on a 23" Apply HD Display, since all my work is done primarily in HDV these days, and you really can't use an NTSC SD monitor for color correction with HDV, what are you all using for an external monitor that doesn't cost 20k. Color Correction really demands a calibrated external but I can't break the bank. Any suggestions? Has anyone found regular HD LCD monitors that you would use in a home theater set up to be of any good? Since I will not be using it to watch TV, I doubt if a tuner is even necessary.
Steve B)
Hi Steve:
I'm certainly new to this field, but I do know a little about monitors. I ended up going with the Apple 30" display with my Mac Pro but I gave serious consideration to NEC:
Check the other NEC stuff as well, they have some impressive specs...
Hope this helps!
Andy
Although I edit on a 23" Apply HD Display, since all my work is done primarily in HDV these days, and you really can't use an NTSC SD monitor for color correction with HDV, what are you all using for an external monitor that doesn't cost 20k. Color Correction really demands a calibrated external but I can't break the bank. Any suggestions? Has anyone found regular HD LCD monitors that you would use in a home theater set up to be of any good? Since I will not be using it to watch TV, I doubt if a tuner is even necessary.
Steve B)
The Matrox has had some good write ups, and I saw it for a short bit and it looked good, would like to get my hands on it to run it through some more paces at some point.
I was looking at getting the Panasonic 17 inch. Can't remember the series number but a lot of people were using that as a reference monitor with the HVX200 for field work. 24 or 30 inch displays just sound eye squaringly BIG especially when watching from close confines.
Cheers,
Mark.
Thanks all, will check out all your feedback. Yes, Creative Cow has some fantastic articles and great tutorials. I go to them frequently when I want to pick up some new technique.
Steve
Eizo CG241W best bang for buck for color grading. There are better screens but Eizo comes with its own colorimeter and supplies its own ICC profiles. At 6m/s response, it works well for video.
Drew,
Nice looking monitor, it is selling for $2297.00
Steve
Hi Steve:
I'm certainly new to this field, but I do know a little about monitors. I ended up going with the Apple 30" display with my Mac Pro but I gave serious consideration to NEC:
Andy,
But don't you need another display aside from you computer monitor to see your output on? You can't do it on the computer monitor and do serious color correction. With old SD stuff I have a small NTSC monitor which I can watch as the timeline plays on my Apple Cinema Display but for HDV, I need to get an HD capable monitor that can be calibrated and blue striped.
Steve B)
Steve to get the most accurate color grading especially if uprez to HDCAM, you'll want HD SDI connections. The Decklink HDlink works pretty well on the EIZO. If you want to have great quality, you have to spend on the HD-SDI out card for the computer, a conversion box for the HD-SDI to DVI/HDMI (you still require a good monitor for grading) or a HD-SDI capable monitor like JVC or the Sony Luma series.
You are not walking away without spending $5k.
I was looking at getting the Panasonic 17 inch. Can't remember the series number but a lot of people were using that as a reference monitor with the HVX200 for field work. 24 or 30 inch displays just sound eye squaringly BIG especially when watching from close confines.
Cheers,
Mark.
My 24" Dell is just right at about 1.5m from my face, set back in the gap between my left near-field audio monitor and my twin 17" Philips LCD monitors. It's not too big at all at that distance. Personally, with a limited budget, I just make the best job at colour correction I can, referring to the Dell and a half-res HDV window on the Philips. Over time you get a feel for your own footage after seeing it on a number of displays and you tend to know if something needs fixing.