Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Photoshop CS3 gone wacky problem

Started by RedSeaDiver ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Photoshop CS3 gone wacky problem

5 posts
  1. I have just finished editing an image in Photoshop CS3, and then when I clicked on "File" then "Save As" the whole page seems to have stopped working - no matter what or where I click I just get a tone noise and nothing happens. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to save the file? I have just realised that I forgot to collapse the layers before trying to save but I don't think that should have caused the whole thing to lock up.

     

    Any suggestions from anyone? I don't want to lose the editing that I have done.

  2. unfortunately I have found that whey the lock up it's not always a CS3 problem, if it does not clear in a minute or so you've had it, you'll have TO CRTL, ALT, DEL, see the processes running, close the others before CS3, if that still does not work, you'll have to reboot and lose it (or force quit on ya mMac)

  3. Are you on a PowerPC or x86 Mac; or on an XP or Vista PC? OS X 10.4 or 10.5? Please Write back with your OS version and hardware description

     

    Dumb things Charlie has done:

     

    Of course, you copied the file to your hard drive, and are not working off the CF card

    Not allocating enough RAM in the Preferences

    Photoshop scratch disks too small in the preferences (each time you specify a scratch disk, it allocates 2 gB, so even if you only have Macintosh HD or C: you need to specify it 4 times)

    Forgetting to do the first "Save" to a PSD file after RAW converting, instead losing dozens of edit steps along the way

    Not quitting as many other programs as possible before launching Photoshop,
    or during a Photoshop session

    Charlie Matco,

    Manhattan

     

    I have just finished editing an image in Photoshop CS3, and then when I clicked on "File" then "Save As" the whole page seems to have stopped working - no matter what or where I click I just get a tone noise and nothing happens. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to save the file? I have just realised that I forgot to collapse the layers before trying to save but I don't think that should have caused the whole thing to lock up.
    Edited by Charlie_Matco
  4. Are you on a PowerPC or x86 Mac; or on an XP or Vista PC? OS X 10.4 or 10.5? Please Write back with your OS version and hardware description

    I'm on a PC running XP - but I've got no idea whether it is 10.4 or 10.5 (I'm a computer dummy - Mike Veitch can attest to that :) ). I got this PC about 2 years ago and the store built it knowing that I was wanting a computer capable of photo processing so it does have a decent sized processor, HD and RAM etc for the job.

     

    Dumb things Charlie has done:

     

    Of course, you copied the file to your hard drive, and are not working off the CF card

    Not allocating enough RAM in the Preferences

    Photoshop scratch disks too small in the preferences (each time you specify a scratch disk, it allocates 2 gB, so even if you only have Macintosh HD or C: you need to specify it 4 times)

    Forgetting to do the first "Save" to a PSD file after RAW converting, instead losing dozens of edit steps along the way

    Not quitting as many other programs as possible before launching Photoshop,
    or during a Photoshop session

    Charlie Matco,

    Manhattan

    The image is on the hard drive. I have no idea how to allocate RAM in preferences (see the comment above about me being a computer dummy). Likewise I have no idea what a scratch disk is!

    I have saved it after doing the RAW converting so that isn't a problem which is a bonus. I did have some other programs open while running RAW (I was watching the live stage times from the final round of the World Rally Championship which is being held in Wales this weekend). But even with everything else closed it still doesn't want to play ball.

     

    If you can suggest anything else to try then I would be appreciative.

    Edited by RedSeaDiver
  5. You've had it, bite the bullet and just restart it, then next time save things along the way so this does not have to you again:)

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.