Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Spearfishing and its effects on the marine eco-system

Started by Drew ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Spearfishing and its effects on the marine eco-system

6 posts
  1. A spirited debate on the effects of spearfishing was started in the POTW section. However the original purpose of that thread was to complain about the image and not about the effects and general discussion about spearfishing on shallow reefs. I've split the topic so that people can continue this discussion in the environment section.

     

    Now in order to realize the actual impact of spearfishing in Spain we should probably do a math exercise:

    The number of spearos in Spain according to industry data I got few years ago is ~15 000. I remember the number because it's more or less the same with most of the Med Euro countries. I believe in Portugal they are less ~10000. And in Greece they are much more - maybe double the Spanish number. Even if those numbers vary, that's not of such big importance actually.

    Let's assume all the spearos in Spain go spearfishing every weekend of the year - that's 104 days... Of course that's not true since it doesn't account for seasons, bad weather, and the fact that maybe half of the spearos are actually "holiday spearos" - they do not spearfish more than 20 days per year. But others spearfish more often, so for the sake of the calculation let's take the 104 days and the 15000 spearos.

    Let's assume every spearo in Spain catches 3 kilos of fish every day of those weekends - that's 104 x 3 = 312 kilos a year. Now that's quite tough in the Med but the skilled guys may be able to do it. So we're assuming every Spanish spearo is actually a quite skilled one...

    312 kilos x 15000 spearos = 4680 tonnes of annual spearfishing catch in Spain.

    FAO statistics says that for 2004 Spain reported 803336 tonnes of catch (in Spain). Now that's the official number and doesn't account for bycatch, unreported catch and so on, but that's the only number I was able to find...

     

    And if we compare the numbers it appears that the spearos are responsible for 0.58% of the catch in Spain.

     

    Ivan

    Your statistics are a little off. You are comparing catch statistics of giant schools of baitfish like sardine/anchovy with reef dwellers hunted by spearos. I would love to see spearos shoot sardines but they do not. :)

    There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of spearfishing heavily affecting local populations of big fish (normally the breeding mature adults), especially from former spearos as well as research, as is in the study in Waikiki on the effects of spearfishing as part of all fishing activities on the fish population on reefs in MPA. That study showed 25% of the spearos were responsible for 70% of the total catch of all non-commerical fishing practices.

    Carl Meyer Study

    Spearfishing competitions easily damage the number of big breeding fish in an area because they are looking for the biggest fish... and often not just one. In fact, anecdotal evidence from spearfishing ex-champions (the ones I spoke to are to me absolutely trustworthy) would prove otherwise since countries like Australia have had issues with species targetting by spearos and localized extinction because of it.

    Even spearfishing clubs etc often encourage taking the 'intermediate' size fish, but how many guys obey that rule? Also, when you say size limits, how many spearos have shot a fish then go opps, under/over limit, dump it and catch another one?

    The unfortunate truth is the environmentally conscious spearo or human beings are few and far between. The fact that we are discussing it means our lines of thought are similar. I cannot say that for the majority of people.

    I know many spearos and don't hold anything against them. I wish there were some self-controllable measures but it is unrealistic. What seems to be barely working are MPAs where there is no fishing of any sort. Then those areas outside the MPAs can catch the overspillage.

    But that would mean suffering for a few years without spearing. How many spearos would accept that? :P

    Edited by Drew
  2. Hi Drew,

     

    Thanks for showing me the report. Too bad they want 30$ for the full text. :)

    From what I saw it based on a really small marine park area adjacent to a "free fishing$ area. I don't know how deep it was and so on. Please have in mind that most of the low-skills spearos are limited to 0-10m - that's the majority. The good ones are able to dive 10-20m. The top guys go to 20-30m. There are very few individuals who can actually spearfish deeper than that. So that's your natural limit to the range the spearos can operate within - anything deeper is beyond their limits and I believe fish would be doing just fine there, if it wasn't for the commercial fishing, I'm sure you'll second that. So any research in a limited shallow area saying spearfishing accounts for N% of the catch is actually very "off". I also believe USA still allows scuba spearfishing and even commercial scuba spearfishing. That makes it real hard even for me to justify. USA is a completely different story and don't really know what's the impact on the stocks there because of those practices. I know that commercial spearfishing on scuba didn't do any good on the groupers in the Med - that's a fact.

     

    I come form a place that doesn't allow the sale of speared fish and no scuba spearfishing is allowed. As per CMAS rules actually - the catch from competitions should be provided for research or donated as charity. I believe it would be a common practice in nearest future.

     

    And I really cannot believe that all the angling charters actually come home empty handed. That 70% ratio may be true about that 340 square meters area but... that would mean these fishing guides will be out of business and I am sure they're doing quite fine... :P

     

    I know my statistics are off. It's not statistics actually - it's some calculation! As a matter of fact I don't believe that compared to the commercial catch spearfishing would actually account for more than 0.1%.

    However I am sure the commercial fishing of sardines, anchovies, sprat or any other bait fish is doing much much more damage to the top predatory species than any spearfishing. Please, let's not drop that from the calculation if we want to make it realistic.

     

    I don't know how many spearos went opps and dumped an undersized fish really... Of course it can happen and has happened to me too. But dumping it... That's not a good thing to do.

     

    I approve the marine parks and I know the French freediving spearos supported the ban on the grouper. I wouldn't underestimate the consciousness of the spearos. There has been a constant change in the thinking of the spearos during the past 20 years. At least in Europe. I am optimistic the same would inevitably happen everywhere else...

     

    Safe dives!

     

    Ivan

  3. Ivan

    Sorry about that but I guess Dr Meyer has to make a living somehow. It's an interesting report though.

    I understand CMAS rules but seriously, what is done with catch afterward is not going help the population of fish. especially if all the big breeders are donated to science or the local market. I can easily quote a few former organizers of spearo competitions to attest to the local decimation of certain 'desired' species.

    While I accept spearos is a fact of life and can hardly deny anyone the right to do it. The facts support that generally, spearing, due to the mobility and striking distance, does net equal and often more catches than other recreational fishing methods per hour in the water. Many of the species affected by large scale fisheries are also targeted by spearos (eg tuna etc). However the reef dwellers which are the most vulnerable to over-exploitation are the very species that spearos tend to target (eg. cod/bass etc). I don't underestimate the environmental consciousness of spearos, but I do doubt the number of those who are conscious since evidence has proven otherwise in terms of unregulated areas and the effects of spearos to those areas.

    I leave you with this MPA study to limit the effects of detrimental fishing practices:

     

    Hawaii Coral Reef Initiative Program

  4. Hey Drew,

     

    Thanks for moving the discussion to a more appropriate section. However it's good to know that I didn't have no intention whatsoever to start such discussion especially onder such title... I was trying to respond reasonably to a rather intolerant personal attack and that's all... Since I am a spearo who something uses his head for something more than to equalize pressure, I am well aware of the actuall impact I can do on the environment... :) For that reason it's really hard for me to accept that I am actually responsible for much more...

    Besides, believe me, I've held many of those discussion with spearos! These are really interesting because that's when the real issues pop up! :P

     

    Mind you the discussion was initially held about the Med... I'd copy here another part of it so it's more 'complete':

     

    I've heard about the problems in England even though I haven't hed too many chances to meet English

    spearos. However one of the issues I've encountered being discussed is the lack of proper reglamentation in the country.

    What I know about England is:

    Spearfishing licence : not needed

    Regulations for foreigners: not needed

    Protected species: I don't know if there are any. My info is - none.

    Bag and size limits: Self-imposed sizing by British Spearfishing Association (www.underwaterfishing.co.uk)

    Restricted areas: As per Angling rules.

    I assume some of that 2nd hand info might not be true...

     

    I do not assume that spearfishing should be allowed at all costs... If we have reached the point of no return the measures should be wide an drastic - I think I said that already. But without restricting commercial fishing and overfishing, any ban on recreational activity performed by small group of people with rather small impact on the actual stocks is pure hypocrisy. I truly believe that the actual positive impact of a spearfishing ban will be insignificant...

     

    Croatians have found a real good, and from what I hear - a working solution! What they did is impose normal restrictions, bag limits, etc. But on tops they also introduced a quite expensive spearfishing weekly license. And by law the income from those is allocated to ecological activities and to the budget of the fisheries and control bodies. As far as I know, it's legally established how much of the income would be used for ecological activities - including breeding and releasing fish in the wild. I haven't met even one spearo to oppose that - they know that every Euro they give goes for ecology and control. But there was actually a murmur about the government not performing its duties right.

    So there are positive solutions I believe. If done right that is...

     

    I know there are similar discussions about that in other countries. However most of the proposals end up by simply throwing the license incomes in the national/budgets - and those are bottomless pits... And of course the spearos don't support that - they'd be happy to see the money being actually used for breeding and introduction and other ecological activities.

     

    Ivan

     

     

    I once again want to tell you that I am absolutely unaware about the situation in the US and Hawaii. But from your report I found out another rather amusing fact - that night time fishing, let alone spearfishing is allowed there! I don't think nighttime fishing or spearfishing is allowed anywhere in Europe! Some countries do not even allow torches during the day. I totally support a restriction on nighttime spearfishing.

     

    As for the CMAS rules, when I said donation, I didn't mean the local market. I meant schools, retirement homes, orphanages etc. If I have to be exhaustive, those rules also recommend a cap on fish from one species. You can take three mullets or 2 bass, etc. and that's it, but that's not of big importance.

     

    As I mentioned, the thinking in Europe has changed and I believe other countries would follow... You may call it egoistic, but it works for me - if there's no fish in the sea, there will be no spearfishing. It's the simple truth the spearos on my end of the world have generally realized. And I don't mind spearfishing being reasonably regulated, restricted and burdened with licenses. But in the meantime I'd be much happier if there were most topics on the impact of overfishing than on the impact of spearfishing. I truly believe if the big problem is solved we won't be having those discussion...

     

    As for the reefs... We don't have reefs. I don't think I can say something more than my Australian colleagues. Here's a discussion paper about it:

    http://www.auf.com.au/PDF%20Files/Meeting%...ion%20paper.pdf

     

    Safe dives!

     

    Ivan

    Edited by Wishbone
  5. Ivan

    That document you posted is a political document fighting for fishing rights, same as what happens in many other countries. I have no comment against those who want to fight for their right to fish recreationally. In the GBR where this document seems to want to be a stakeholder in, it seems that it is counter to what you are saying about allowing MPAs to help recover stocks outside the areas.

    I'll also throw in this document by Jon Nevill, on the effects of spearfishing in Australia. marineSpearfishing.doc

    As for spearfishing in the Med, I will have to draw upon the conclusions of the Direccio General de Pesca in Mallorca, Spain, whose own studies follow the catch of spearfishing competitions in the Balearic Islands have shown corresponding declines in over 30 species of fish which inhabit rocky bottom areas between 0-40m wherever there were competitions. In fact any fish over 4kg werein sharp decline from '87, and showing ' a serial depletion process.' There was no doubt that recreational and competition spearfishing has negatively affected the target species. This is but one example.

    You can again get the abstracts from here

    I don't doubt your cerebral ability to assess situations or your own honesty in catching the 'right' fish. I know a few spearos who are marine biologists who spearfish, and keep to a size limit. They also happen to be my friends. They know the stats better than most. The facts from studies, free from political and human biases, tell a different story about spearfishing around the world.

  6. Hey Drew,

     

    Thanks for sharing the report - don't know really who wrote it but it was good and informational reading. Even though I can't help but smile reading the same names of well known spearos, who jumped on the pop wave once the eco craze started. They make quite a good living riding that wave actually. But that doesn't really mater...

     

    However I do agree in general with all of the recommendations. It's obvious that both USA and Australia are falling behind Europe in regulating the spearfishing. Those measures are widely accepted already where I am:

     

     

    1.There is an urgent need for a massive expansion of permanent marine no-take areas - such network of protected habitats is already been established by the mentioned NATURA 2000. As matter of fact on Friday Bulgaria has joined the NATURA with 300+ marine and land areas - 2nd place in Europe.

     

    2.Temporary no-take areas, of substantial size, should be established specifically for the purposes of re-building fish stocks - no temp zones are needed with natura.

     

    PS3.The FAO Code advocates the use of ‘interim’ measures while a fishery management plan is being developed and finalised. - Natura zones are established for protection of habitats of certain species...

     

    4.Spearfishing on compressed air, and night spearfishing should be banned immediately in all Australian waters, including all of the Australian EEZ - those were restricted decades ago.

     

    5.The sale of speared or damaged fish should be banned outright in all Australian jurisdictions - done.

     

    6.According to the FAO Lysekil Statement: “an open access fishery is not precautionaryâ€. The sport of spearfishing should be permitted conditional on the participant holding a current recreational fishing licence issued by a State government fisheries agency - done in most of the Med countries...

     

    7.There are obvious issues in enforcing compliance across fisheries generally. For this reason punishments for breaching regulations must have strong deterrent elements: punishments where the chance of apprehension is remote need to be severe. - how about even confiscating all your gear, boat and..... your car? Like in Greece...

     

    8.Spearfishing competitions should be phased out over a 5-year period. Immediate bans should be placed, Australia-wide, on competitions which allow the catch of fish which are permanent or semi-permanent reef-dwellers - done in a better way - number of fish per species/person restriction, zones are quite wide and stretch in Bulgaria to 10+ km of coastline with 30-40 people participating...

     

    9.A voluntary national code of responsible conduct for spearfishing - It's not voluntary.. It's mandatory - the law...

     

    I still hope that Natura would some day include actual commercial fishing areas too... :P

     

    And you obviously got me wrong - I do not mind restrictions as long as they are reasonable. I don't mind the parks - including no fishing ones - especially in the most vulnerable areas. I bet in Australia the spearos won't mind much either... However, it still bugs me how the spearos can do so much damage on 59 736 km. of coastline!?

     

    The other report you showed me once again talks about the impact on the Dusky grouper - an extremely territorial species. As I mentioned, that problem has been already solved in most of the Euro countries. Total ban in France, very restrictive bag limits in all other countries.

     

    We have a something similar about the turbot - spearos were blamed with scientific and para-scientific reports that they are responsible for the decline of turbot stocks. Drastic measures followed - a seasonal ban, a one species per day bag limit, minimum size, etc. However it didn't provide any positive results. The stocks continue to drop!

    Why? Cause we actually know where the big time commercial poachers keep their drag trawls. The bad thing is - the control bodies know about that too...

    Every time the guys come out of the water during the ban they are being checked! Nothing wrong about that, unless you actually see the commercial boat operating 300 meters away coming home with a hundreds of kilos of fish every day...

    Now you tell me how am I supposed to 'preach' to newbies and other spearos that they should obey the bag limits of one fish when the usual reply is: We're not more than 200 spearos crazy enough to go for turbot in freezing 6-10C of water. Why do we have those bans and the commercial fishos don't?

    All my preachings pop like a soap bubble! Cause I don't have an answer to that question besides "Well... Life sucks but you gotta live it the right way..."

    I really don't know how can we expect to change the thinking of the people when the actual problem is so obvious! We still do it though! And from what I read in the forums - it works.

     

    Last week Europe imposed some restrictions on the turbot fishing in the Black sea for Bulgaria and Romania. That's really great. It actually happened right after it became obvious that the new competitors on the turbot market in Europe will affect the interests of the traditional big European producers... :) Whatever the reason - I love it!

     

    As for the report I showed you - sorry man, but these ARE political issues. I can't help but noticing the tendency each time the recreational fishermen start talking about measures against commercial fishing, the polititians immediately start talking how bad it is to kill fish with a speargun, or how a ban on certain lures should be imposed now or the planet dies! It's like a domino! Every time someone says, hey let's reduce the quotas, and I know another ban on spearfishing on angling would be the result... That's exactly how we got the one turbot per day law!

     

    Another first hand example... Man, I've seen scientific reports how the rapana snail scuba hunt in the Black sea should be immediately banned since it damages the ecosystem. And the reason is that in Japan they like eating that snail... The rapana snail is an invader without any natural enemies in the Black sea. It devastated the sea wiping out the black mussel - the sea's natural filter. It's the worst thing that happened to the Black sea! I can only compare it to the invasion of the Mnemiopsis leidyi comb jelly that almost killed the whole sea for less than 15 years before another invader the Beroe ovata came to the rescue and started hunting the other comb. It may sound unbelievable, but the reports are a fact. The proposal didn't succeed by few votes! Now I can't really believe the guys who wrote them are not on someone's payroll...

     

    It's getting harder and harder for me to prove to anyone that I am not a camel - there are at least 2-3 reports saying that I am not only a camel, but I also am a 5-legged one. :P

     

    So, as I said - you gotta do what you gotta do. If a measure is justified - then it has to be introduced. In the areas where the problems are drastic - you apply drastic measures.

     

    Whatever the impact of spearfishing is on reefs - it could be easily solved with simple measures. But that won't solve the real problem - commercial overfishing. And it still doesn't change my simple calculation unfortunately... :P

     

    Best regards!

     

    Ivan

     

    P.S.

    In fact any fish over 4kg were in sharp decline from '87

    It's not any fish - the report says that about the dusky grouper. There are some other med species at that depth that grow more than 4 kilos and almost all of them are not territorial 'reef' species.

    Edited by Wishbone

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.