Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

New Sea and Sea YS-90 Auto

Started by caminu ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

New Sea and Sea YS-90 Auto

20 posts
  1. Does anyone know whether this new "YS-90 Auto" flash is out yet? If yes, how is it performing on the digital cameras, particularly DSLR?

  2. I'm getting one from Japan, and from what I understand it's basically a ys90dx with some sort of "almost-TTL". I'd also like to know if anyone has used it, and what they think of it. It's only marginally more expensive than the dx, so I figure it's worth it.

  3. I'm getting one from Japan, and from what I understand it's basically a ys90dx with some sort of "almost-TTL"...

     

    You can be the 'test case' then... :)

     

    The general opinion is that YS-90 AUTO is a 'flawed' concept.

     

    The way it works is you select the aperture setting on the strobe dial according to what your camera displays. The theory is that the sensor in the strobe head will quench (turn off) the strobe when sufficient light has been delivered based on the aperture selected.

     

    The problem is that the sensor is in the strobe head, which will be at a different distance and angle from the subject than the camera lens. The light reflected back to the strobe will have little relationship to the light reflected to the lens.

     

    The general opinion is to go with the YS-90DX. Select your aperture according to DOF requirements, shutter speed according to background exposure requirements and dial the strobe output accordingly.

     

    HTH

  4. The lack of ANY manual control would discourage me from looking into this strobe. This strobe is going to be a real PITA for wide angle work as the strobe is not pointed at the middle of the image area so the auto senor will not get enough light back and do a full dump (just as TTL will).

  5. I suppose I just might NOT be the 'test case' after all.... :)

     

    Hmm...decisions

  6. When you say the strobe has no manual control...wouldn't the f-stopdial work as a manual control? Of course theres always the sensor, and it can't be bypassed? Hmm...might go with the dx after all. But then I'd have to learn when to use what step on the strobe, could be a drag.

  7. It is not a drag to learn the manual control because of the instant feedback provided by your lcd.

     

    Granted, you'll miss exposure on shots that move, but if you pay attention and learn, you'll be a much better photographer in the long run.

     

    I know it can sound intimidating, but it is easier than it sounds.

  8. It's settled then. I'm getting the dx second hand this weekend. It's not for me to try out new technology, other people are more than happy to do that. I can always ask people at this forum for advice, which is trickier with new stuff that nobody uses yet. Now I just have to figure out a way to get some money so I can afford to go diving. Suppose this is the wrong forum to discuss that matter.... :)

     

    Thanks for your views, useful as always...

  9. I am assuming that it has some sort of auto sensor because of the way it works. It says to match up the f-stop dial with the f-stop on the camera and shoot. That would have to have a sensor otherwise you would need to take distance into account. To me this sounds like the worst of both worlds (TTL & manual), manually having to set a dial but not being able to get the same output if you move your strobe. With all this said, I have not used this strobe and don't know how it works. I should be talking to a S&S tech today or Monday and will ask him how it works.

  10. rstark,

     

    your info is very helpful, thank you.

     

    i should also think twice before getting this new strobe. maybe I will talk to my local dealer once the stobe has arrived.

  11. Let us know how it works when you talk to your dealer.

  12. I have just picked up one of the YS90 Auto strobes in Tokyo, cost was 39,000 yen or 320 dollors. Been playing around with it out of the water and it seems quite good, easier to set up as you dont have to think so much which is a bonus for me ..

     

    Heading to the Philipines now for a week in the Tubataha reefs off the coast of Palawan, will post an update on the strobe when I get back.

     

    I got rid of the YS90DX that I had previously to get this flash, hope that it is easier to use.

     

    Camera is a Oly 5050.

     

    //Kye

     

    www.wahay.net

    kyep@wahay.net

  13. just 39000 yen? seems to be a good bargain.

  14. Congratulations wahay_tokyo, you're the first person I know who's got this strobe. We'd be interested to know how you go with it........

  15. Hi All,

    Had a week now with the new YS90 Auto strobe, so far I am really happy with it. I have mostly been shooting macro all week as I am on Boracay Island where most of the shots are macro.

     

    Results are very good, I really appreciate how easy it is, the real test will be next week on the Tubataha reefs where the big critters and visability are amazing.

     

    I have found no problems if I have over exposed or under exposed its really easy just to turn the flash up / down an F position, whilst leaving the camera unchanged

     

    Another question, does anyone know what range of shutter speeds the flash is able to work with, there isnt anything in the user guide except to use ASA100 for the film (as the flash calculates on that)

     

    Thanks, and by the way the flash was purchased from hawain Internation Divers in Shinjuku, I think that they have a web site where you can order stuff, so if anyone would like to get this why not try there as it seems to be the cheapest deal around.

     

    // Kye

  16. Thanks, and by the way the flash was purchased from hawain Internation Divers in Shinjuku, I think that they have a web site where you can order stuff, so if anyone would like to get this why not try there as it seems to be the cheapest deal around.

    Can you post their URL here?(hawain Internation Divers )

    thanks

  17. Does anyone know what is the difference between YS90DX and YS90auto?

  18. If I'm not mistake... The DX is a fully manual strobe, the auto is somewhat auto in the sense that you dial in the f-stop and the strobe determiens the exposure.

  19. The strobe does not know the object distance. How can it determine the exposure?

  20. Hi

    YS-90AUTO has the "AUTO Sensor" on the front panel of the strobe. With sensing the brightness around the subject, It automatically controls its light level according to the specified aperture value.

    But it needs to face the subject, so I think it will work well with macro shots but with

    wide angle, it may cause over exposure due to failure of auto-sensing.

     

    So on this case, you should correct aperture value on the strobe on purpose.

     

    Yuzo

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.