Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Manatee "reclassification" vote in Key Largo Today

Started by seagrant ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Manatee "reclassification" vote in Key Largo Today

6 posts
  1. I'm in a rush right now, lots happening. I'll post news below.

     

    Also I was at Crystal River yesterday when I heard voices and popped my head up - several men in suits were on shore talking about the manatee along with some law enforcement official (land is privately owned, no trespassing so they would have to be accompanied...) They were talking about manatee and I can only suppose that a couple of these men were the commissioners that will be voting today. They had a wonderful scene to observe yesterday, brisk and sunny weather and just me back in some springs at that time. A rare, peaceful place for manatee to gather without the threats of speeding boats, etc.

     

    Here are the articles, particularly interesting is the "backstage" meeting between Jimmy Buffett and Gov Charlie Crist. And documentation of over 32,000 letters and emails in support of the manatee in the last few weeks alone.

     

    Article re: Gov and Jimmy Buffett

    http://www.sptimes.com/2007/12/04/State/Ma..._a_strong.shtml

     

    Article re: tens of thousands of letters/emails

    http://www.news4jax.com/news/14778044/detail.html

     

    Carol

  2. OK, it is "done" - well at least for now as far as politics is concerned.

     

    A definitive vote was again "postponed" indefinitely; the reason given was the discrepencies in the definitions of "endangered" vs "threatened" that the State of Florida chose to adopt two years ago. Those definitions are not in line with the federal definitions of "endangered" vs "threatened". Also methods used to count the manatee were questioned for validity.

     

    See sometimes it all comes down to what do the words really mean and what are the actual statistics? So many things boil down to those simple things.....

     

    So the manatee will stay listed as "endangered" in Florida for now.

     

    Read on, interesting article. There has been a lot of true drama regarding this :)

     

    http://www.nbc6.net/news/14785581/detail.html

     

    Best, Carol

  3. See sometimes it all comes down to what do the words really mean

    Best, Carol

     

    The thing that bugs me about all this is that everyone always has to be less than truthful in order to achieve the desired results - no more dead and injured manatees. We know that truthfully, manatees are probably not on the verge of extinction. Sadly, though because common sense never prevails and in order to stop a--holes thinking they're at the boating grand prix, and developers just clean cutting every piece of land that pokes above water, we have to say that manatees are on the verge of extinction. Arghhhhh...lawyers and laws!

    Edited by loftus
  4. Yes Jeff I hear you!

     

    But to get back to the fundamental of what is meant by the terms being used on three different current "endangered species" lists:

     

    1) critically endangered

    2) endangered

    3) vulnerable

    4) threatened

    5) species of special concern

     

    These terms above are being used by either the State of Florida, the Federal Government or the World Conservation Union. And with each entity they mean different things to varying degrees :)

     

    In fact the World Conservation Union had manatees listed as "vulnerable" and as of this past Sept. "upgraded" the Florida manatee to "endangered".

     

    As a basic step these terms need to be defined and the same definitions used in policy to help these all creatures that are in trouble, not just manatee. We need this understanding regarding endangered shark and fish species, bald eagles, gopher tortoises, and the list goes on and on and on.........

     

    So it behooves any of us trying to help any "endangered" creature to insist on standard definitions in the listings that cannot be misconstrued or twisted.

     

    I do believe the manatee is "endangered"; maybe not "critically endangered" because we have made progress but again it all depends on what definition I'm looking at :D

     

    BTW, in the first post above I mentioned the men that were at Three Sister's Spring Tuesday afternoon (I assume they were traveling down from Tallahassee to Key Largo to vote on the manatee reclassification and stopped at Crystal River on their way). One of the men was definitely commissioner Ken Wright and probably two of his fellow commissioners (most likely Kipp Frohlich mentioned below also). I happened to be the only one back with the manatee in the springs at the time (and yes I'm sure glad there weren't any crowds then for sure). It was like a picture post card of what should not be lost for the manatee, peaceful, gorgeous weather, clear water, manatee, etc and I was back there politely photographing...... I hope I made a good impression and as I've said before manatee are actually left alone a lot in the springs - it is only the busy times around weekends, holidays and spring break that manatee viewers should avoid for their own and the manatee's sake.

     

    Plus this just in: here is an email below I just received, I like this quote, "“An imperiled species listing process should be designed in a way that it is easy for the public to understand,†said Kipp Frohlich, team leader for the manatee plan. “A listing process should not be a source of confusion or divisiveness.â€

     

    Carol, full text below:

     

    For immediate release: December 5, 2007

    Contact: Beth Scott, 850-251-3970

     

    FWC Commissioners approve manatee management plan but defer reclassification

     

    The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Wednesday voted to approve the manatee management plan and deferred a decision about rule changes to reclassify manatees from endangered to threatened. The Commission also directed staff to re-examine the imperiled species listing process and bring back alternatives.

     

    “Today we had a landmark opportunity to pass the manatee management plan,†said Commission Chairman Rodney Barreto. “It’s the right decision.â€

     

    The Commissioners asked staff to look at a solution for species that have been subjects of petitions and are in the reclassification process. Staff will work with stakeholders to get input about alternatives.

     

    “It is extremely important we all take a deep breath,†Barreto said.

     

    Commissioners said they heard the comments from stakeholders and the governor and want to consider a new paradigm for the listing process.

     

    “An imperiled species listing process should be designed in a way that it is easy for the public to understand,†said Kipp Frohlich, team leader for the manatee plan. “A listing process should not be a source of confusion or divisiveness.â€

     

    The management plan and reclassification had been scheduled for consideration at the September meeting, but actions were deferred at the request of Gov. Charlie Crist.

     

    -30-

     

    BS/HSC

     

    PCB

     

    Edited by seagrant
  5. Carol, my point, and my frustration is that it would seem our approach to boating and development with regard to manatees should be the same whichever of the 5 classifications they might be in. Do you know where one can read on how each classification relates to development and boating standards and regulations? Are there specific restrictions that relate to each category, and what are they?

  6. Do you know where one can read on how each classification relates to development and boating standards and regulations? Are there specific restrictions that relate to each category, and what are they?

     

    Jeff, I understand what you are saying and you are right to be frustrated, as am I.

     

    From what I understand no single classification in Florida has ramifications in specific words - it just makes it harder to - say build a dock that impacts manatee, especially in the future - if the manatee is higher on the imperiled species list. There are guidelines but they are all reviewed on a case by case permit basis in this example as far as I understand it. Also the classification in Florida has the most impact on the slow speed manatee boat zones or lack thereof and "downlisting" the manatee would not have gotten rid of any manatee slow boat zones but it would have called for less of them in the future.

     

    To make things even more complex the State of Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission had adopted new "classification" listings supposedly in line with the World Conservation Union but changed the meanings of the listings and totally eliminated one listing (vulnerable)??

     

    So then even the confusing guidelines that used to exist as regards to boat docks, development, manatee slow zones, etc became even less set and defined because the classification system was changed.

     

    I agree with you and what your are saying about the politics, etc; and I think this is actually done on purpose by certain parties who tend to work covertly to "get their way", despite endangered species listings, etc. And then some is probably done because again no one has defined and agreed on the basic meanings of the term used regarding endangered species - there is general confusion.

     

    What the commission did yesterday was actually quite a statement! They said that no vote would be taken to reclassify the manatee because of all this confusion. They did however adopt a new manatee management plan that is in favor of the manatee. Details of that would be interesting as I read it specifically targets development in prime manatee areas (less development); and I believe that is why I saw the commissioners at Three Sister's Spring on Tuesday getting a first hand look. There are probably details there that might be of interest - but right now I need to get some rest....... :D

     

    Thanks Jeff, Best Carol

    PS - bet this is just about as clear as muck right now, eh? :)

    Edited by seagrant

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.