Hi Folks,
I'd just like to let you all know that Earthwatch (a non-profit research institute) is using Digital Underwater Photography for this years marine biology study in Bonaire. Each year this organization spends a month in Bonaire studying the behavior of the Sepiateuthis sp. squid aka "Carribean Reef Squid."
Last year this project was featured on the Discovery Channel with fascinating footage of the squid's amazing "flashing" behavior displays. Because each squid has a unique "dot pattern" the researchers are able to identify each animal and record how they interact and court with each other.
Dr. James Wood from the National Research Center for Cephalapods here in Texas is using a Coolpix 990 and Ikelite housing to record images of each squid or squid in courting pairs. This gives the researchers the never-before ability to examine the photos at the end of a day (or dive) of field work and compare notes and observations "in realtime."
I have received some pictures from Dr. Wood and when he returns, I will encourage him to post some here as well as a trip report and his impressions of the digital system.
Sincerely,
James Wiseman