Save Our Seas is looking for print-quality photos of seven-gill sharks. Anyone know where they can get ahold of some?
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Seven-gill shark photos?
-
-
How about the images at SeaPics? They've got some shots of the spotted/broadnose species. Is that the species Save Our Seas is looking to feature?

-
Strange. I did a search for "seven gill shark" on seapics and it came back with no results. I'll have to go try again...
UPDATE - found them under "sevengill".
-
Yeah, the same thing happens with other fishes whose common names involve words like "gilled", "tipped", or "finned". White-tipped reef shark is white-tip reef shark is white tip reef shark is whitetip reef shark... and on and on. Plenty of permutations, which can spell lots of time lost on the information superhighway.
Carolus Linnaeus would argue that this is exactly why his system of binomial nomenclature is so handy. Less confusion, less wasted time, more precision...
Incidentally, SeaPics has some images tagged with the scientific names but not all of them. I searched for "Notorhynchus" and it only pulled up 2 of the 19 images that pop up under "sevengill".
-
I have a few posted here http://andytuwphoto.googlepages.com/sharks
There are also a few more that I still have to go through, will post a link in the next few days
-
Kind of happy looking sharks, aren't they? Obviously proud of those two extra gills...