Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

UW photo Etiquette

Started by eudon ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

UW photo Etiquette

6 posts
  1. I usually dive with a regular group(s) of diving friends, when everybody is easy going and there are generally no issues when it comes to underwater etiquette.

     

    However I was on a dive trip recently in Lembeh and I was on the dive boat with strangers and there were some issues. One guy confronted another who unwittingly hit his subject (poor frogfish) with his fin. Another guy confronted another group of guys taking too many photos with strobe of a single subject. ..etc

     

    Also i just read a thread, where a "pro" photographer, Rod Klein, prodded another diver with a pointer to prevent stirring up the silt. Leaving her with a bruise. Link to thread with photos..

    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=336390

     

    So I was wondering if someone could point out a good write up on etiquette as Im not keen on ruining my dives with this type of an experience. Thanks.

    Edited by eudon
  2. Eudon,

     

    As a dive shop owner this has been a ticklish subject for me. I have found the best way to deal with this type of behavior is to stop it before it occurs, which means that it should be the responsibility of the operator to outline the way in which divers manage themselves prior to starting the dive.

     

    Now if the operator is used to providing tours for UW Photographers he/she will have encountered these issues, and will have a briefing prepared for the divers as part of their predive review. I have been on some dive trips where there is an expectation that the divers know what to do, assuming is not a good thing! (You know it makes an ass of u and me....)

     

    When ever anyone dives with me, and they have a camera in their hand, I check with them how they would like to dive and then advise them of the way in which we protect our environment so that we have no misunderstandings. A 'rule book' in my experience doesn't work. I outline how I prefer to dive, and ask that the divers follow suit to ensure preservation of our reef environment. If divers choose to ignore and then hurt / damage / deliberately upset other divers then we curtail the dive. I have refunded monies to boorish divers before now. (Treat others and within this we include fish, marine invertebrates and corals, as you would expect to be treated your self!)

     

    I do remember seeing a set of guidelines, on a poster, with regards to UW photography on Peter Hughes Wind Dancer but I can't for the life of me remember who wrote them!

     

    Anyway, thats my two cents worth - for what it's worth!

     

    Kay,

    Indigo Dive,

    St. Vincent.

  3. WOW!! While it is a story of incredible ego/rudeness, I am not surprised at all.

    I have dived with many "professionals" who believe that the end result is the only important matter. I limit the pictures I take of any subject to protect them from continued strobe attack, even when I know I have not achieved the shot I want. I have been in line for a critter that a "professional" refused to hand over, even when the predive briefing required limited shots per diver. It will NEVER change that some believe they are more important than the rest.

     

    On the stance on sand spikes, however, I will take issue. I won't call them pokers because that is not how I use them. I find them invaluable as a tool to help prevent damage when my world is limited to the view through a viewfinder. I can use it to help balance and position myself. In Lembeh, I was able to slowly push it into the sand and use it to hold myself immobile, no matter the current. That way I was still and able to gain critters acceptance. I also use it as a form of monopod, holding the tray handle in the same hand as the spike in the sand.

    I like them so much, and see none on the market that I like, that I am making them myself for my family and friends. Mine are fiberglass with a wrist lanyard. Extremely strong and lightweigt. While it is tapered, I refuse to make it sharp, to prevent people from stabbing things.

    No, it should NOT be used to harass/pose critters. No photographer should be without a sand spike (NOT a POKER!).

  4. As a new guy to the game, I'm sure I violate some unwritten rules when I go. I wouldn't have a problem with someone politely confronting me over any perceived infraction; however, I would take issue with rudeness. Constructive criticism is the foundation for improvement. Blatant impunity is the foundation for a fight. If there was someone waiting behind me, I'd snap a couple of shots and move on. If I was waiting on someone, I'd hope they wouldn't silt up the place but if they did I'd move on to something else. The ocean is big enough for everyone.

  5. As a new guy to the game, I'm sure I violate some unwritten rules when I go. I wouldn't have a problem with someone politely confronting me over any perceived infraction; however, I would take issue with rudeness. Constructive criticism is the foundation for improvement. Blatant impunity is the foundation for a fight. If there was someone waiting behind me, I'd snap a couple of shots and move on. If I was waiting on someone, I'd hope they wouldn't silt up the place but if they did I'd move on to something else. The ocean is big enough for everyone.

     

     

    yup, that's definitely the way to go. often i find myself discussing with the rest of the crew how to tell a diver that he's doing something wrong. we usually try to do it in a light-hearted and informative manner, and not simply say "hey, you're a terrible diver cos you can't even control your buoyancy"

     

    for photography, sometimes i'll even hold on to the tank stages of divers with poor control to help them stabilize themselves. we all know that we get a case of the CLITS (camera LCD induced tunnel-vision syndrome) sometimes.

     

    personally, if i see lots of people crowding a subject already, i'll just move on. it's not worth getting into the fray and risk someone kicking your dome port off. there will always be another dive, another opportunity.

    ((=

  6. Thanks Indigo and all.

     

    Big blue also posted some guidelines on a separate thread.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.