Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Chucky Crab (ID requested)

Started by mandarinfish ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Chucky Crab (ID requested)

4 posts
  1. This was a small crab that was out on the sand on a site in Lembeh Strait. I've been calling it the "Chucky" crab because it reminds me a little of the Chucky doll from the movies. I haven't been able to locate an ID for it.

     

    Anyone know what it is?

     

    071108_013.jpg

     

    Thanks!

  2. I believe it's a sponge crab in the family Dromiidae. Typical genera are Dromia and Cryptodromia. These are the ones that are normally carrying around hollowed out sponge for camouflage. See the one leg on the left that hiked up over the back? The fifth pair of legs is small & points upwards - that's how they hold onto the sponge.

  3. Or a shell or a rock - some species prefer these to sponges. I'm not capable to putting a name on it past Dromiidae. There are several genera and they all look alike to me.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.