Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Category for BTS

Started by Bruce Zavon ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Category for BTS

6 posts
  1. I have a question about the BTS competition rules. I've sent an email so maybe they'll get back to me and I'll post if they do. But I have a picture I want to enter which was shot with a Nikon D70s and a 105mm lens, but the subject was 6-8 feet away and so probably over a foot across. The Possible Category Descriptions are:

     

    A. General: Wide or medium shots of divers, wrecks, reef environments, etc.

    B. Marine Life: All non-macro images, including close-focus wide angle, of fish or any other

    vertebrates or invertebrates.

    C. Macro/Close-up: The subject must be 1:6 or smaller.

     

    Any ideas? Is it macro due to the lens or is it something else due to the size of the subject? Thanks in advance.

  2. I have a question about the BTS competition rules. I've sent an email so maybe they'll get back to me and I'll post if they do. But I have a picture I want to enter which was shot with a Nikon D70s and a 105mm lens, but the subject was 6-8 feet away and so probably over a foot across. The Possible Category Descriptions are:

     

    A. General: Wide or medium shots of divers, wrecks, reef environments, etc.

    B. Marine Life: All non-macro images, including close-focus wide angle, of fish or any other

    vertebrates or invertebrates.

    C. Macro/Close-up: The subject must be 1:6 or smaller.

     

    Any ideas? Is it macro due to the lens or is it something else due to the size of the subject? Thanks in advance.

     

    1:6 is the REPRODUCTION RATIO. A "macro" shot with this definition is one where the subject on the chip, or the film, is at least 1/6 of its true size. With a 105mm and a D70s that means that a subject 4-5" long will fill the frame.

     

    Some photographers would call 1:6 a "close-up". Some competitions would use a more stringent reproduction ratio. The 105mm gives 1:1 (true size on the chip) at about 8", I think.

     

    Your image is probably a category "B", above.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  3. I'd enter it in the category where you think it fits best. 1:6 refers to the reproduction ratio but it's pretty hard to determine the exact reproduction of an underwater shot. If it was me, I'd stay away from the macro category anyway as it usually gets the most entries and therefore the toughest competition.

  4. As Tim said, in your macro category if your subject filling the frame is smaller than 4-5" (in real life size) without croping the picture it doesn´t matter the distance you took the picture.

     

    This post can assist you to understand magnification:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...hl=getting+more

  5. Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions. Needless to say, as always, pushing the deadline. :excl:

  6. The "official" answer from BTS:

     

    It could be either Marine Life or General.

     

    Looks like a similar issue with OWU. Macro is a "7x5 inch or smaller picture area" and Wide Angle is anything larger. So I guess if the background is a "part" of the picture it's wide angle.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.