Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 browser scroll bar bug

Started by echeng ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 browser scroll bar bug

11 posts
  1. I’m having a problem with the browser in Final Cut 6.0.2 (MacBook Pro, 3GB RAM). If I open a clip and create lots of markers (I have dozens to hundreds per clip in the project I’m currently working in), the browser sometimes won’t allow me to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list. I have to close the project and re-open it to access the elements on the bottom.

     

    The bug occurs sporadically, but regularly. If I open the project and start creating markers, the scroll bars cut off content after perhaps… 15-20 new markers.

     

    Has anyone else out there had this problem? Here’s a video demonstrating the bug (embedded on my personal webpage):

     

    http://echeng.com/journal/2007/12/28/final...scroll-bar-bug/

     

    I’ve submitted this as a bug to Apple, but thought that it couldn’t hurt to post here.

    Edited by echeng
  2. Eric, that was an old 6.0 bug that I thought was fixed.

    Have you tried using FCPRescue(free) or FCP Attic(shareware) to backup your prefs and then trash them and see if it works?

    Also try changing the view from name to length or whatever then back to name.

    Edited by Drew
  3. Eric,

    You don't say whether you are running Leopard or not and, unless the install of Leopard was completely clean, there have been bugs running QT 7.3, now 7.3.1

    Never the less, FC Rescue has not been working, according to reports in Leopard. The first thing I would do, as was suggested, is to trash your preferences. It is easy to do and I am attaching a diagram which will guide you. Close FC before you begin. Remember not to empty your trash until you open up FCP again. Open FC will create new prefs for you and then you can empty the trash. Once done, repair permissions by going to the Utilities folder found in your Applications folder and clicking on Disc Utility. I repair permissions at least once a week and before and after any downloads.

    Let us know if this works for you.

    Steve B)

     

    ps. For a complete and easy to understand article on this go to:

    http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

    post-124-1198867530_thumb.jpg

    Edited by steve
  4. Yes, Leopard. Upgrade install. FCRescue quits upon launch. I'll give trashing prefs a try!

  5. Yes, Leopard. Upgrade install. FCRescue quits upon launch. I'll give trashing prefs a try!

     

    As Steve mentioned a clean install of Leopard seems to avoid some issues, particularly with the Studio. In other Also the Studio needs to be installed clean, not over a prior install of Studio as an upgrade (even in earlier OS of Tiger.)

     

    One thing that seemed to help some people was toggling browwer view back and forth which seemed to unstick to scrollbar for some. Go figure.

  6. Eric, at the same time I would make sure that Compressor is working. There could be a lingering issue with Q Master and QT 7 that also may be affecting FC. The fix for that is a lengthy one but I did post it on here not terribly long ago. I wouldn't bother with Rescue until it is calibrated for Leopard and then I would dump what you have and reinstall it when it is ready.

    Steve B)

  7. Eric, Have you found a fix yet?

    Steve B)

  8. Hi, Steve and all. Deleting prefs didn't work. I've uploaded another video showing browser scroll bar refresh issues. Argh.

     

    Compressor seems to be working fine.

     

    I tried to encode the animation MOV to embed here, but the resulting file was 50% larger than the original! I've embedded the MOV file to see if someone here can use compressor to make it 50% width and 50% height and maintain filesize as a MOV with the animation codec. :)

    finalcut_browser_bug2.mov

  9. Eric,

     

    The animation codec is great for image quality, but not good for compression. Do you have to stick with animation or can you use a more efficient compression codec like H.264?

     

    Does the browser scroll bug also happen when you arrange the FCP windows in a standard configuration?

     

    ML

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  10. ML -

     

    Well, the file is 1.9MB using animation (at full-res, as captured by Snapz Pro X). When I re-encode at 1/4 the # pixels (50% W and H) using the same codec, it is 50% LARGER.

     

    So that's why I'm confused. :)

     

    Haven't tried browser scroll bug on standard configuration (which would not be so useful for what I was doing).

     

    It just happened on my Mac Pro as well, so it's not restricted to the MBP!

     

    Happy New Year!

  11. Yeah, that's really weird about the animation "reduction." I use animation for AfterEffects exports when I want to bring something into FCP and have a high quality image coming in with no concern about file size. And when I use animation in Snapz Pro X I still bring the file into FCP to work with the audio, then export out of FCP to H.264, what-have-you.

     

    I tried to replicate your browser glitch in FCP 6 on my MBP, but couldn't get it to happen for me, even with over 150 markers on a single clip. Which leaves me wondering if it is some Leopard bug after all since I've not yet installed Leopard (not compatible currently with ProTools which I'm trying to learn). Anyway, that seems to be the one major variable I can see here. Pretty frustrating, for sure...

     

    A Very Happy New Year to you!

     

    ML

    Edited by Mary Lynn
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.