Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & Sea D60 housing with Canon 10d

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea D60 housing with Canon 10d

3 posts
  1. The answer? No good, without slight modification. I can't imagine that the UK Germany housing will work either, given what happened when I tried it.

     

    The 10d will fit inside the housing. The housing latches properly. Here's what I noticed:

     

    1) the shutter will fire properly. The control looks good as is.

     

    2) the dials seem to work properly (the dial near the shutter and the big dial on back

     

    3) the housing button used for the "Trash" button on the D60 pushes up against the on/off lever of the 10d. This is on the surface, so I assume that unnecessary stress will occur if the housing was brought below water.

     

    4) the focus point select housing button pushes in the respective button on the camera. this makes normal camera operation impossible. The button tip could be shaved off to perform properly fairly easily. it is lined up properly.

     

    5) the lever to hit the "*" button is very close to the button itself. It works -- you can hit the * button, but it's easy to do. Underwater with the D60, it can be quite difficult to engage the * button unless you are at depth because there is so much space between the lever and the button on the surface. I would guess that the lever would engage the button automatically at depth.

     

    --

     

    That's about it!

     

    Summary: shutter and dials work, but upper right part of the 10d body is thicker, causing controls at that location to be dangerously close (in this case, close enough to push them in) to the housing controls. most rear buttons inaccessible.

     

    So it doesn't look impossible, but it's not an easy swap. What I will probably do is keep a 10d as a backup body for the D60. If the D60 floods on a trip, I will do some on-board mods to make the 10d work in the housing for the duration of the trip.

     

    Or, I might wait until D60s are really cheap and get another backup.

     

    Or, I might wait until (if!) I get a 1Ds housing and sell the lot. :) we'll see.

  2. I can't imagine that the UK Germany housing will work either, given what happened when I tried it.

     

    Mine works fine.. Why would you say such a thing? The housing buttons are not even close to being the same.

     

    3, 4 & 5 are non issues at least in the D30 version of the UK Germany housing, in fact the only valuable button I can't get is the menu button.

  3. Mine works fine..  Why would you say such a thing?  The housing buttons are not even close to being the same.

     

    3, 4 & 5 are non issues at least in the D30 version of the UK Germany housing, in fact the only valuable button I can't get is the menu button.

    Well, I've heard from at least one other person that the D60 does not work in their UK Germany housings.

     

    And given that the body is thicker in the area where the * and focus point change buttons are, housing buttons *must* be closer to them.

     

    Have you taken it down to depth?

     

    All I'm saying is that I wouldn't assume that all UK Germany D60 housings support the 10d. You are lucky, if yours does. :)

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.