Just finished a 20 dive / 5 day trip in Burma. Great diving and great photography...............
..... and I got a souvenier....... massive ear infection ( Acute diffuse external Otitis ) ( I even sound like a doctor now )
Well, I dive with a hood, and the pro-ear mask aint gonna work when I need to take my mask off if any issues ....simply too difficult i.e. when you get fog and want to re-clean it underwater ) ( looks pretty wanky too, but I am sure teh fish wont care ! )
Here is an idea............. food for thought. Ear plugs are a problem we all know....... but how about this........ ear plugs with a mini hole in it. ...read on..........
My idea is to fill the external ear canal with some simple mild fluid which will kill any bacteria ( maybe clean water with a drop of iodine in it ) and the "plug it" with the ear plug........ Dont panic...read on............ if there is a small hole going through the plug, it will allow sea water to slowly seep in to equalize the pressure, but the hole would be too small to allow the internal fluid to be entirely replaced by sea water during the dive, but big enough to allow for virtually immidiate equalized pressure. ( i.e. 0.3 mm in diameter )
We all know that fluids dont compress ( well, not 100% true really ) and as such, there will be no real flow thruough hole, but the pressure on both sides of the plug will be equalized ! )
I am sure it would work, and I am tired of being several weeks out of action due to ear infections.
![]()