Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Camera choice......probably again

Started by Aquanaut ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera choice......probably again

4 posts
  1. Guys please excuse this question as I am sure many have already asked, however as I have yet to try out any underwater photography it seemed prudent to ask here. I have tried a search but failed to answer my query.

    After visiting the recent NEC dive show and chatting to the BSoUP I was advised to take a look at the Canon Ixus 75 and associated housing as a good solution at approx £260.

    I am now planning to Visit FOCUS in Feb with the intention of buying said equipment plus the wide angle lens attachment which I believe is approx another £160.

    Most of my diving is in and around the UK any time of year, with occasional trips abroad to a max depth of 36 mtrs.

    Question = In general would members still recommend this unit or suggest a better alternative for approx the same costs. I may eventually, once I get used to the equipment, look at strobes.

    Many thanks..................

  2. Can't say i know much about that camera. However i do know the A series Canons are very good UW choices ( i have 2 :D) with a full complement of manual settings etc. The A640 in particular is a good choice and i think price wise should be similar. the other choice would be the G series Canons.

     

    Make sure your Ixus has full manual control of aperture and shutter as well as manual WB and underwater mode. If it does not then i would look at the other two instead

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  3. The Ixus series have no manual control whatsoever. Not ever aperture or shutter priority modes. They're ultra-compact cameras designed to be simple to operate, look pretty, and fit in your handbag.

     

    If you have any interest in taking anything beyond snapshots, forget the Ixus. The Powershot A series are much more capable (having manual controls in addition to the automatic mode that the Ixus uses), but are larger (which may or may not be a downside, depending on your intentions).

  4. I have used a IXUS 500 until recently. I found it really good for macro and in the canon housing the internal flash was enough to light the subject.

    For shots other then macro I would put everything in auto except the WB which I'd set by hand depending on my depth. Currently I use a G7 with an external strobe.

     

    My friend uses the Ixus 900 which has an underwater setting for the WB which works really well in tropical waters. Not to sure how it would be in the UK.

     

    If however you want more control then the Powershot A series would be better.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.