Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Err, am I stupid?

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Err, am I stupid?

12 posts
  1. I have a Fuji F50fd compact to write about.

     

    I bought a 2Gb xD card for it.

     

    My three Macs each neither recognise the camera when it is plugged in by USB or say "You have inserted an unreadable disc" if I use a card reader. I can get the Mac to see an SD card (the camera uses both) if I plug it in via the card reader.

     

    I took the xD card back to where I bought it and it worked perfectly in the PC in the shop.

     

    Am I stupid, or what?

     

    Or don't Macs work with xD cards?

     

    Brief answers please. I am very tired and emotional.

  2. Is it an M card or an H card? I know that there were some issues with compatability with the H type, so they discontinued it. Also did you install the Fuji software and update it so it recognizes the camera model?

    Cheers,

    Marli

    Edited by scubamarli
  3. Is it an M card or an H card? I know that there were some issues with compatability with the H type, so they discontinued it. Also did you install the Olympic Master software and update it so it recognizes the camera model?

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

    It's an M card. The beauty of a Mac is that it sees the device and usually puts up an icon.

  4. Your only mistake was buying an xD card. SD would have been cheaper and most of them have faster download speeds.

     

    Maybe your camera needs a firmware update? If you want to keep the xD card, just get a cheap USB reader.

  5. Can you format the card with the camera? also, uninstall and reinstall the oly software. I´m going thru something like that with an atom dive computer... errrrrgh!

  6. Damn it !!!!

     

    I thought it was another public vote... :P

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  7. I am very tired and emotional.

     

     

    How i wish i was the first to answer this post :P

  8. Hi John

     

    See below, which is an excerpt out of the FAQ for the Leica M8. It might just help explain what the problem is.

     

    "1.3 I am trying to connect the camera to my Mac computer but the Mac software won’t recognise the camera. Is the camera compatible with Mac? - Many digital cameras appear as a hard drive on the desktop of Mac-OS. The M8 does not appear as a hard drive but as a camera device. For file transfer via USB a program like Image capture (part of Mac-OS) or I-photo is needed."

     

    If the computer doesn't recognise the camera model I assume that it wouldn't show up!

     

    If this doesn't help then you might be interested to know that I have had problems reading SD cards. I sometimes could not read them with my USB reader but could find them and extract them using Lexar's image rescue. The problem turned out to be the card, half of which was unreadable and the only way I discovered this was to check the card by verifying it in my Mac's File Utility software which showed only half the memory size of the card.

  9. John, you tempt us so... :P

    But seriously, try this:

    1. ReFormat the cards in camera.

    2. Try using iPhoto or supplied FinePix software (Fuji software sucks but it works)

     

    If fails:

    1. Use a PC and device manager to format to FAT32.

    2. Try again.

     

    Actually have you loaded FinePix software? Sometimes OSX doesn't update for camera nuances as PGK says.

  10. My nerdy IT test-engineer son has been on the case doing many things including those suggested. We even tried reformatting the card to MS-DOS but nothing happened. We can only think it is something unique to a Fuji M 2Gb xD card, that it will only read on a PC. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to use an SD card instead. I have never encountered this sort of problem before and I downloaded many files from different compacts, not to mention CF cards. The best we can get is: "The disc is not readable by this computer."

    Edited by John Bantin
  11. For all it's worth, my brother has been using an SD card on the Fuji F50fd compact and was complaining that once you load it onto the PC slot and then put it back in the camera, the camera doesnt read the files anymore. I am still trying to find out why that is the case.

     

    jing

  12. For all it's worth, my brother has been using an SD card on the Fuji F50fd compact and was complaining that once you load it onto the PC slot and then put it back in the camera, the camera doesnt read the files anymore. I am still trying to find out why that is the case.

     

    jing

     

    I'm not sure if that is Mac specific. Once in a blue moon, I get that too when I browse pics on my Fuji F30 (on a PC). I suspect it might be Adobe Bridge eventhough I haven't modified the pic...

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.