Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

ID needed for worm(?)

Started by Annediver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

ID needed for worm(?)

7 posts
  1. post-3023-1199479013_thumb.jpg

     

    Hi Leslie,

     

    I found this under a rock in about 25 feet of water off the Island of Bimini. I thought it was a flatworm until I saw the photos and saw that it had an opening on top. It was about 8-10mm in size. At times the "hole" was closed, or retracted, and sometimes it was open.

     

    Can you tell me what it is?

     

    Thanks again, Anne

  2. I suspect it's a polychaete scale worm but I can't tell from the image. Would you mind sending me a high-res file so I can check for details?

     

    Your desctiption fits a scaleworm. Many absorb their oxygen from water flowing under the dorsal scales. To keep the water moving they pump it by rhythmically expanding & contracting the scales while raising several of the posterior scales to form a siphon.

  3. I suspect it's a polychaete scale worm but I can't tell from the image. Would you mind sending me a high-res file so I can check for details?

     

    Your desctiption fits a scaleworm. Many absorb their oxygen from water flowing under the dorsal scales. To keep the water moving they pump it by rhythmically expanding & contracting the scales while raising several of the posterior scales to form a siphon.

     

     

    Thanks Leslie, I'll send you a couple more...

  4. thanks, Anne. I look forward to seeing them. :P

     

    I just thought of something else. It might be the mantle & siphon of a clam which is embedded in the bottom. clams are filter-feeders which pump water in and out through their siphons.

  5. thanks, Anne. I look forward to seeing them. :P

     

    I just thought of something else. It might be the mantle & siphon of a clam which is embedded in the bottom. clams are filter-feeders which pump water in and out through their siphons.

     

    Leslie, I think it might be a clam, the animal did not move. Here a couple of more photos showing the siphon...

    Anne

    post-3023-1199711215_thumb.jpg

  6. post-3023-1199711623_thumb.jpg

    Leslie, I think it might be a clam, the animal did not move. Here a couple of more photos showing the siphon...

    Anne

     

    Another photo

  7. Yup, definitely a clam and outside my experience. Perhaps another WP member can help with an id?

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.