Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Parrotfish ID help please

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Parrotfish ID help please

4 posts
  1. So is this guy going through a strange phase or am I. I think I've been in the desert too long. I know your going to tell me it's easy and I've seen it hundreds of times but I don't know the proper scientific name.

    Roatan, Honduras

     

    Also first attempt at embedding from Flickr :P

     

    2132090967_320667d98c.jpg

     

    Haven't figured out how to link back yet.

     

    Steve

    Edited by williamshs
  2. A bit difficult to tell from this pic - have you any others? My best bet at this stage is an intermediate phase stoplight parrotfish - Sparisoma viride

  3. Was this photograph taken during the day or at night? Many fish look very different at night than they do during the day....

  4. Thanks for looking guys. Taken at night, off Roatan, about 40ft. He (or she) was tucked in under a coral shelf getting ready for some sleep. This is the only image I have. It was taken in 98, on velvia 50, Nikonos 35mm with closeup lens, and I didn't want to hit her more than once with the big 102 strobe. Learned something new, again, I didn't know parrots changed their apperance at night. I couldn't find anything close on the Fish search data base.

     

    Steve

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.