Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

fish id needed, sea of cortez

Started by sgietler ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

fish id needed, sea of cortez

2 posts
  1. I need help id-ing these 2 fish:

     

    239921377-M.jpg

     

    239922481-L.jpg

     

    in this photo, I need to id the fish in the lower-right corner. the other fish are blue-yellow chromis, and a cortez damselfish (Stegastes rectifraenum) I believe.

     

    thanks,

    scott

    Edited by sgietler
  2. Scott, your first fish is a juvenile Mexican Hogfish (Bodianus diplotaenia). p 58

     

    The second is a Leopard Grouper (Mycteroperca rosacea). p.30

     

    ref. "Sea of Cortez Marine Animals" by Daniel Gotshall

     

    BTW, that must have been quite a trip! I want to go to that little area you found all of the nudi's. Sounds fun! Glad you got your dives in before it started to rain, though I don't know how much precipitation some of those arid Mexican regions get. Beautiful scenery and colors in some of those Above water picts.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.