Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Unknown Parrotfish

Started by JimG ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Unknown Parrotfish

4 posts
  1. Taken in Bonaire in November. The white stripes, main body colour and large scales seem indicative of a jvenile phase Redband Parrotfish but the fin colours and shape of the muzzle seem wrong. There is nothing quite like it in my book so wonder if anybody has a better i.d. please?

    post-2843-1199714676_thumb.jpg

  2. Looks like a Redband Parrotfish to me.

  3. I'm voting for an initial phase striped parrotfish. See p200 bottom left of Reef Fish Identification for scales and pattern along bottom of belly. I also saw the white dots along the flanks regularly in Bonaire but can't quickly dig up an image of one of them.

     

    Redbands in this stage normally have a clear white saddle spot and very obvious large scales.

     

    Bart

    Edited by Glasseye Snapper
  4. Thanks to both of you for your help. Interesting Bart that you have seen them with spots on their sides in Bonaire previously. I agree about the belly pattern - hadn't noticed that before. I think I'll name it "Striped(?)" and leave it at that.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.