Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Sea cucumber(?) ID

Started by Annediver ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea cucumber(?) ID

6 posts
  1. post-3023-1199737697_thumb.jpg

     

    Hi Leslie,

     

    Here is another one for you.

     

    I found this beautiful, ornate little guy here in the southern Bahamas crawling on the sand in about 6 feet of water. It was approximately 35-40mm in length.

    Is it a baby sea cucumber? Do you know who it is?

     

    Thanks so much, Anne

  2. Hi Anne -- yes, it is. If you don't mind I'll send your pic to Gordon Hendler, our echinoderm curator. He's one of the authors of "Sea Stars, Sea Urchins, and Allies - Echinoderms of Florida and the Caribbean".

  3. Hi Anne -- yes, it is. If you don't mind I'll send your pic to Gordon Hendler, our echinoderm curator. He's one of the authors of "Sea Stars, Sea Urchins, and Allies - Echinoderms of Florida and the Caribbean".

     

    Super, Leslie, and now that you mention it, I have the book at home. I'll look forward to hearing from him.

  4. Gordon agreed that it was a juvenile sea cucumber, too small to put a name on it. It reminded him of a Holothuria but he couldn't be sure about the family from the picture. Even if he had a specimen it would be difficult to identify as juvenile and adult sea cucumbers often have different types of spicules - the most important character for identifying these animals.

  5. Gordon agreed that it was a juvenile sea cucumber, too small to put a name on it. It reminded him of a Holothuria but he couldn't be sure about the family from the picture. Even if he had a specimen it would be difficult to identify as juvenile and adult sea cucumbers often have different types of spicules - the most important character for identifying these animals.

     

    Thanks Leslie and Gordon, I'll call it a "Cutie juvenile"

  6. A cutie cukie?

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.