Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 70-180

Started by james ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 70-180

5 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

     

    There has been a lot of interest lately in this lens. It is not a super lens for film shooting but it is fabulous on a DSLR, doing a little better than 1:1 at 2.5' or so. It holds focus and aperture through the zoom range, so you can focus on a critter at 70 and zoom in up to the 180 end to get a tight shot.

     

    I think the lens was recently discontinued by Nikon. I was poking around and found one FS on ebay. I think there may be 2 or 3 on there now. Average used price is around $600 US.

     

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7&category=3343

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Wash your mouth out James :D

     

    It is a really nice lens for topside use as well. Sadly my film that I used at the LBJ wildflower center with this lens was fogged (x-ray exposure, damn :angryfire: ), so I only have one shot from this lens that I have scanned so far, that would be this shot here....

     

    That Aquatica system is starting to look really really attractive.. :ph34r:

  3. Did I say something uncouth?

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. It is not a super lens for film shooting....

    Not so much uncouth, I just happen to like the lens for film shooting B)

  5. My friends like it underwater with film, too. Guess it's just a good lens.

     

    Nice flower photo, craig. I'm enduring an implementation of EE as we speak so your site looks real familiar!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.