What are your thoughts on the best way to remove rust from inside a housing. Are there any chemicals I can use without having to do a complete disassembly?
Thanks
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by seti007 ·
Read-only discussion
What are your thoughts on the best way to remove rust from inside a housing. Are there any chemicals I can use without having to do a complete disassembly?
Thanks
Maybe you have to be more specific on where is the rusty part you want to remove and what kind of housing.
I have a little rust on my shutter lever screw (Ikelite shooter) due to a minor leak, and was wondering the same thing... I think that with an alloy housing you can use some spotted WD-40 maybe, but I wonder if this affects ike housings materials...
quote from ikelite
Housing Body:
Never use any spray lubricant around the housings. These lubricants contain a chemical that will cause stress cracking of the plastic. Cleaners made for plastic may be used, but a fresh water rinse is usually sufficient.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/qmaintain.html
WD40 is uite agressive stuff, wouldnt use it. For your purpose, you would be better off disassembling the control.
If it is on the plastic .. hows about some soft scrub ?
if it is metal parts even if attached to plastic .. then remove and soak in an electrolyte solution .. if you have one that runs volatge through it even better .. most dive centers have them for servicing regulators etc.
My first question is why is there rust? All parts are SS or plastic. Did you flood it and get rust residue from the camera and lens? If it were me I'd send it in and have a professional service clean it.
Joe
Stainless steel comes in various grades ... and especially on small parts like screws etc .. salt water ... will kill !
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.