Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Whale Sharks in Djibouti

Started by Ferg42 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Whale Sharks in Djibouti

10 posts
  1. Well, I've just managed my first upload to Stage6. This is a quick first edit of my footage, so it's not too polished, I'm afraid. It's a largish file, so you have to be patient with the buffering- not recommended for those with a slow connection. Shot with an HC7 in Gates housing with the WP25 port.

    It was a great trip- would recommend it to anyone.

    If anyone with a slow connection is really keen to see it, let me know and I'll see if I can put it up on youtube or similar.

     

    Anyway, here's the link (hope it works):

     

    http://www.stage6.com/user/WebbedFootage/video/2072967/

     

    Comments and criticism welcome- I'm planning on refining the edit anyway.

     

    Fergus

     

    Oooops- I've just realised I posted this in the wrong forum- meant it to go in the editing and sharing forum- how do I move it?

    Edited by Ferg42
  2. Wow, Fergus... nice... I hope my final footage is half as good as your "not too polished" first cut! That nite footage was great... something new I haven't seen.

  3. Moved.... pls do pay attention to which subforum you post in Fergus. :ninja:

     

    I did enjoy my 2 Djibouti trips. And now there are quite a few UK operated boats in the area. Perhaps it's time to go back?

    Unfortunately I can't watch this video. Takes too long on my 512kbps shared line. ;) I sometimes dislike island paradise locations.

  4. Thanks Pakman, glad you liked it. Hope you have some good encounters on your trip.

    Have also put it up on YouTube if anyone with a slower connection wants a look:

     

  5. Fergus,

    Liked it a lot... some awesome shots!

     

    Jon

  6. Hey nice one, you could get a job doing dailies over here. :ninja:

     

    Cool that you got to go out there in the dark and swim with them.

    Edited by wagsy
  7. Fergus,

     

    1 question, how did you find viewing the Gates LCD window while shooting from the surface?

  8. I had the same concerns about the LCD before I went. I guess ideally it would be slightly easier to have an external monitor on top, so you could hold the housing a little below the surface, out of the chop. But when I was there I found it wasn't too bad looking through the backplate while at the surface, even though it was quite choppy most days. Besides, you're more streamlined without a monitor :ninja: But I guess most of my favourite shots were shot from below the surface- so practicing breath-holding is a good idea!

     

    I wasn't sure about whether to use the OIS or not, but in the end I did and I had no problems with the odd jumps you sometimes get with OIS and panning.

  9. Really nice, what Gates port are you using?

  10. Really nice, what Gates port are you using?

    Am using the Fathom WP25, which seems pretty good, and despite what Gates say does seem to allow a bit of zoom (up to maybe 50%). Must say I like the look of the SWP25- tho it's alot more cash for just 10 degrees wider (when used underwater). Apparently it's being redesigned at the moment.

     

    wagsy Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM

    Hey nice one, you could get a job doing dailies over here. smile.gif

     

    Cool that you got to go out there in the dark and swim with them.

     

    That's a very tempting idea right now, Wags. In UK it's blowing 45 knots today, p*&^ing with rain and the sea is about 6 degrees and 20cm viz :ninja: .

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.