Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Voice Over Options

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Voice Over Options

4 posts
  1. Guys and Girls,

    Something that I haven't really got into but I think that I need to get better at is the voice over...

    Now I am not super keen on spending a fortune on audio equip but if I need to buy a few things then of course I will. I have tried just speaking into my mac speakers and that sounds pretty average as you would expect, I have also tried recording directly through my camera mic which sounds clean but very 'tinny' if you understand me.

     

    So first question: Do I need to buy a mic, if so any advice on which one?

    Second question: Is there a good fix in soundtrack pro to make it sound less 'tinny', I haven't really used used this program so any tips / work flows ideas would be wicked.

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

  2. Jon,

     

     

    There are others on here who will have better solutions no doubt, but in the past I've used a software program called Soundsoap and it does an amazing job of cleaning up audio from my Mac mic for the price. It's really easy to use for us novice audio types.

     

     

    http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundSoap2/

     

     

    The original Sound Soap was something like $79, but the new version is $129. You might have a look around their website to see if they still offer a trial download.

    Edited by shep
  3. Guys and Girls,

    Something that I haven't really got into but I think that I need to get better at is the voice over...

    Now I am not super keen on spending a fortune on audio equip but if I need to buy a few things then of course I will. I have tried just speaking into my mac speakers and that sounds pretty average as you would expect, I have also tried recording directly through my camera mic which sounds clean but very 'tinny' if you understand me.

     

    So first question: Do I need to buy a mic, if so any advice on which one?

    Second question: Is there a good fix in soundtrack pro to make it sound less 'tinny', I haven't really used used this program so any tips / work flows ideas would be wicked.

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

     

     

    Not sure what your budget is or how into this you want to get, I havee a couple of generic microphone, Tascam and a US-122 Box, plus a couple of other microphones, that work well in general, but I often will also record at some of my friend's studios where they have serious microphones designed for specific uses, pre amps and the rest.

     

    Of course like anything some of the standard things you can do even in Garageband use to cost a TON of money.

     

    A Microphone with XLRs into a breakout box is usually the way to go. But by the same token some of the USB Plug and Play Mics have come along way.

     

    Have not used this one, but for example, things like this.

     

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/20/m-audio...oducer-usb-mic/

     

    Some Tips:

     

    1.) A screen to stop pops can be helpful

    2.) Make sure there is water for the person doing the voice over. Dry mouth can lead to more bad sounds

    3.) Two biggest items to use are Compressor and EQ to make voice sound better and also make sure you are setting your levels properly. In theory recording digital audio should not distort until you hit the red, but you can back it off.

     

    If you have a quiet spot to work and an okay microphone you can get pretty good results.

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  4. http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/20/m-audio...oducer-usb-mic/

     

    Just had a look at that mic looks pretty good but if I end up buying anything I may get a condenser mic that will directly into the XLR of the camera. Has anyone used the rode NTG2? They look like they are about $250, but could be useful for other applications.

     

    I do like the ease of the USB one though pretty handy.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.