Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Antigua Fish ID

Started by jeremypayne ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Antigua Fish ID

8 posts
  1. I saw this guy at about 65ft at night on Carpenter's Rock just outside of English Harbour ...

     

    post-14536-1200419891_thumb.jpg

     

    Thanks in advance!

  2. A tough one - to me the big scales and general shape point to some type of juvenile parrot fish. They vary greatly in colour withi a species and have another set of colour variations at night when this was taken. With the red fins, it could be a stoplight or a redband. Be interested to see what others think

  3. My guess would be nocturnal colours of a red banded parrotfish. But I've not looked it up.

     

    Alex

  4. My guess would be nocturnal colours of a red banded parrotfish. But I've not looked it up.

     

    Alex

     

    Cool! Thanks guys! I figured it might be some kind of parrotfish ... he wasn't so small - how big before they are not considered juvenile anymore?

     

    Here's a shot of his neighbor sleeping in a mucus bag ...

     

    Parrotfish in "sleeping bag"

  5. The one in the sleeping bag is a mature Queen PF - cool shot

     

    The original one: if an intermediate stoplight, could be 1ft or so; if a redband, maybe 6/8ins

     

    I have a hell of a job with PF i.d so I sympathize with you!

  6. The one in the sleeping bag is a mature Queen PF - cool shot

     

    The original one: if an intermediate stoplight, could be 1ft or so; if a redband, maybe 6/8ins

     

    I have a hell of a job with PF i.d so I sympathize with you!

     

    Trying to identify all the critters I saw in "boring" Antigua is turning out to be a lot of fun!

     

    I'm beginning to think the original may just be the night coloring of perhaps a female stoplight.

     

    See this pic of a female:

     

    Stoplight_Parrotfish_red_0039.JPG

     

    Link to picture from Shedd Aquarium

  7. I vote Red-banded Parrotfish.

  8. I agree with acroporas: juvenile/initial redbanded parrotfish.

     

    Bart

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.