Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

How to void the warranty on your housing

Started by vkalia ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

How to void the warranty on your housing

3 posts
  1. So I get back from my dive, do my post-dive cuddling with the housing and then put in on the table in the dive center office. As I walk to the other end, I see movement and the housing starts to tilt. Before my testicles can even retract, it topples over the edge of the table and falls onto the cement floor on the other side with a sickening thunk, port-side down (I had the 8" Aquatica dome attached).

     

    I run over to the other side, expecting to find lots of itty-bitty pieces. Surprise, surprise - the blessed thing was completely I N T A C T. The dome shade absorbed the entire impact (the rapid deceleration at the end, however, was enough to cause the Sigma 17-70 lens inside to break into 2 pieces). Three cheers for the Aquatica dome shade.

     

    What's your housing abuse story?

     

    Vandit

  2. Well being the clumbsy person I am (really, I can't beleive people allow me to hold anything thats worth more than $20), I drop my strobe at least once while setting up...thankfully both it and my foot are relitivly durable...

     

    Though the first time I was diving with a strobe, I was holding the camera off to the side, comunicating to my buddy and turned back to see a big, unnaturally whiteish thing next to my head...Scared the crap out of me and I dropped my camera to the bottom of a 15 foot wall...

     

    however, the true abuse hasn't happened yet.

     

    In 2 years I'm takeing my rig to Antarctica (yeah. 2 years of prep, training, and nervouness...).

     

    As it turns out, exposing your Nikon camera to anything below -17 F voids the waranty, 32 is the lowest recomended due to lithium bateries.

     

    Ikelite on the otherhand, had no recomendations for dealing with such harsh conditions and ignored m first inquiry (yeah...makes me want to buy from thm again...)

     

    The second time around they told me Ice damage constitues abuse and voids the waranty.

     

    Fun.

  3. Well, there's this little incident where I destroyed a housing and camera. At least I got the shot!

     

     

    All the best, James

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.