Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Soft coral ID

Started by scubamarli ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Soft coral ID

3 posts
  1. post-1116-1200538083_thumb.jpgHere's one I'm having trouble getting an ID for... gorgonian like soft coral with dark yellow brown colouration with white polyps and strange burgundy "sticky outie" things that look like worms. Such a scientific description. The polyps are really small: this is shot close to 1:1. I have included an enlargement of the details. Any guesses as to Genus (and species if described) would be appreciated.

    post-1116-1200538121_thumb.jpg

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  2. Where was the photo taken? Also, do you have a photo of the entire colony.

     

    I can not see anything distintive in the attached photo's. But your description of "burgundy thingies" makes me think Tubipora musica) which has a red skeleton.

  3. It was taken in the Solomons. I don't believe it is Tubipora musica. This has yellow branches like a gorgonian coral. I'm not sure if the burgundy bits are actually part of the animal.. perhaps they're something that lives on it?

    Unfortunately, with the 105mm I did not get a chance to get the whole colony.

     

    Any suggestions/guesses would be great.

     

    Marli

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.