Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Good inexpensive wide angle lens

Started by mexicandiver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Good inexpensive wide angle lens

7 posts
  1. Is any one recommend a good inexpensive lens for my Nikon D200?

     

    I recently purchase my first Underwater Housing for my Nikon D200

    I have already a macro lends I have a 60mm I have a Compact Dome Port

    That came with the Housing I buy it use off course and works great! But I need some help to chose a wide angle lends. Also what apertures to use for taking wide angle photos.

    Any suggestions? :)

  2. Good, inexpensive. That's a tough combo.

     

    What are you going to shoot?

     

    All around I would look for a used Nikon 12-24.

     

    For very wide the Tokina 10-17 FE is excellent.

     

    I don't know the third party lenses. These are the ones I like. As far as the cost, they are both DX lenses so you may be able to find used ones for sale. From people moving to the D3.

     

    Connecticut?

  3. Good, inexpensive. That's a tough combo.

     

    What are you going to shoot?

     

    All around I would look for a used Nikon 12-24.

     

    For very wide the Tokina 10-17 FE is excellent.

     

    I don't know the third party lenses. These are the ones I like. As far as the cost, they are both DX lenses so you may be able to find used ones for sale. From people moving to the D3.

     

    Connecticut?

     

     

    Well I was planning to shoot like cleaning stations, divers, lager fish,

    But my old Nikon 20mm lens that I have does not take good sharp images underwater

    Besides once is under water the wide covering from the lens become smaller I guess some one mentioned to me that is the equivalent of an 35mm lens once is on the water..

    This is the reason why I need an new wide angle lens.

     

    Thank you dough for the info.

  4. I'd take a look at the Sigma 15mm FE. You might be able to pick a used one up for a good price. It has a nice focal length for what you want to use it for. Not the ultimate WA optic but will do what you want for a good price.

  5. The Sigma 17-70 mm is a great underwater lens. I have used with both dome and flat ports with my Nikon D70. this lens is tack sharp in the Aquaticia Dome port without any diopters as long as you use an extension between the port and the housing. This is an especially good setup when traveling or the first dive at any location as one can shoot wide angle, take fish portraits or bring back excellent macro shots with this one setup. :)

     

    Vettediver

  6. don't forget, whatever lens you choose, to make sure your housing supports it.

    I have a Sigma 10-20mm which I have found to be excellent. 108 degrees, very close focus, and great price is a bonus.

  7. I would second Lionfish's suggestion of the Sigma FE 15mm. Great lens, great price.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.