Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Cold water environment

Started by mexicandiver ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Cold water environment

13 posts
  1. I moved to Connecticut all the way from Cozumel can you believe this? :)

     

    Any ways I was wondering if any one knows if my underwater photo equipment

    Is capable to hold low temperatures, the water is to cold here in CT :) . Is any one with any experience shooting on a green water? Like New England.

    Can you spare some settings?

     

    Thank you,

  2. Last summer I was on an Alaska dive trip. No problems with the cold and UW photo equipment.

     

    Didn't change any settings for the water temperature. You may have to learn to shoot in green water.

     

    Haven't dove the New England area so can't give any settings. It is all a matter of trial and error anyway. Learn to get good shots in your camera. Always start with the best possible shot rather than relying on PS.

  3. I moved to Connecticut all the way from Cozumel can you believe this? :)

     

    Any ways I was wondering if any one knows if my underwater photo equipment

    Is capable to hold low temperatures, the water is to cold here in CT :) . Is any one with any experience shooting on a green water? Like New England.

    Can you spare some settings?

     

    Thank you,

     

    You don't mention what type of gear you are using. I have taken many pictures in water between 42 - 50 degrees F. I know it works with my Canon Xti and with the Sealife cameras. I have seen many other cameras in the same conditions. The main issues are battery life which may produce fewer pictures than you are use to, fogging of the camera and autofocus problems due to visibility and low light. I never worry about the camera. I make sure the batteries are freshly charged, put moisture absorbent in the housing and use two strobes.

     

    You don't mention the other big issue. Be sure your diving equipment is rated for cold water. I learned the hard way that not all warm water equipment is good for cold water. You need a heavy wetsuit or a dry suit. Both will require more weight so be sure you have a BC with enough lift. We have seen divers with warm water BCs have trouble getting up from depth and have to drop some weight because of life capacity problems. The other big issue is your regulator. Be sure it is good for cold water. I personally replaced my first regulator with an environmentally sealed regulator immediately after experiencing a free flow problem at 100 feet. So be sure to check with your local dive shop and ask them to evaluate your gear.

     

    I now dive 10 to twelve months of the year in the cold waters of Washington, Idaho and British Columbia. There are plenty of great sights to record.

     

    Happy & safe diving

    You don't mention what type of gear you are using. I have taken many pictures in water between 42 - 50 degrees F. I know it works with my Canon Xti and with the Sealife cameras. I have seen many other cameras in the same conditions. The main issues are battery life which may produce fewer pictures than you are use to, fogging of the camera and autofocus problems due to visibility and low light. I never worry about the camera. I make sure the batteries are freshly charged, put moisture absorbent in the housing and use two strobes.

     

    You don't mention the other big issue. Be sure your diving equipment is rated for cold water. I learned the hard way that not all warm water equipment is good for cold water. You need a heavy wetsuit or a dry suit. Both will require more weight so be sure you have a BC with enough lift. We have seen divers with warm water BCs have trouble getting up from depth and have to drop some weight because of life capacity problems. The other big issue is your regulator. Be sure it is good for cold water. I personally replaced my first regulator with an environmentally sealed regulator immediately after experiencing a free flow problem at 100 feet. So be sure to check with your local dive shop and ask them to evaluate your gear.

     

    I now dive 10 to twelve months of the year in the cold waters of Washington, Idaho and British Columbia. There are plenty of great sights to record.

     

    Happy & safe diving

  4. Thank you both for the suggestions,

     

    I have a Sea & Sea DX200 housing and 2 strobes YS90

    I did check about my diving equipment and yes all my diving gear

    Is suitable for frizzing cold waters as Connecticut I take the dry suit certification recently but I am still chicken out, going on a 38 degree water.

    And you guys are correct I guess I am going to start with my self settings first see how it goes. Trusts me is not the same as home ( Cozumel)

    As Dorothy would say “I guess we are not in Kansas any moreâ€

     

    Thanks.

  5. I regulary dive in those sort of temperatures in the Uk during the winter. I've dived a lake with ice starting to form on the surface. I used a Nikon D70 in an Ikelite housing with Ikelite and Sea & Sea strobes. Friends have also used Sea & Sea housings and Nikonos strobes all without problems. You will get shorter battery life with colder temperatures but then you'll probably be doing shorter dives.

  6. Should be ok. I dive in 43F water all the time.

     

    Jack

  7. Thank you guys you are the best, now I won’t hesitate to go to underwater, may be next week if doesn’t snow. On the meantime here is a PIC that I shouted last November. do you guys think this is a contest material?

     

    Please critic my photos I want to be a pro thats my goal.

     

    Thank you

    Edited by mexicandiver
  8. Thank you guys you are the best, now I won’t hesitate to go to underwater, may be next week if doesn’t snow. On the meantime here is a PIC that I shouted last November. do you guys think this is a contest material?

     

    Please critic my photos I want to be a pro thats my goal.

     

    Thank you

     

    Where is the picture ?

  9. Gear will be fine as long as it is in a housing. LOL

     

    You do seem to be going the wrong way though.

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

  10. Hi Jorge,

     

    Good to see you have your own equipment and are willing to dive in the cold green water of the north-east. Let me know how it goes and I may break out my dry suit and head your way. Your still welcome here in West Palm Beach any time.

     

    P.S. Will I be seeing at Digital Jam Aug 28 to Sept 2 in Cozumel?

     

    Phil

  11. Jorge-

    New England diving=marco. Once you get used to your drysuit I suggest you check out the area around Newport,R.I. and Gloustester,Ma. Ct. really doesn't offer much and the 2 areas mentioned are good for N.E. If you are willing to travel a bit then consider Me.

    Welcome to the cold.

  12. I dive in RI regularly but don't bring my rig in the water that often. The folks above have commented correctly, the rig you have should be fine but make sure your comfortable diving in the cold, dark waters before dragging it down with you. I would suggest starting with macro first for obvious reasons. I have gotten some good results in the shallows as well during summer when the water warms a bit.

  13. Hi Jorge,

     

    Good to see you have your own equipment and are willing to dive in the cold green water of the north-east. Let me know how it goes and I may break out my dry suit and head your way. Your still welcome here in West Palm Beach any time.

     

    P.S. Will I be seeing at Digital Jam Aug 28 to Sept 2 in Cozumel?

     

    Phil

     

     

    Phil,

     

    Is nice to hear from you, I got my equipment from Fred he was able to put together a set for me. How are you? . I wasn’t sure if I could used on a freeze water I did already and it was cold. :)

     

    I don’t know about Cozumel. I am on the middle of losing my Job the company is making a mass of layoff and don’t know for sure. How ever Ill be at the beneath the Sea show in NJ. Are you going?

     

    P>S.. Do you know anything about the prices we won in Cozumel.?

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.