What is the guidance on the use and application of one strobe vs camera only / camera only flash. It seems that most of the reference reading suggests either the camera only, camera only flash or a dual strobe.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Shooting with One Strobe
Started by sjmoney ·
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Shooting with One Strobe
-
-
One strobe is better than using the camera's flash. You have to watch for harsh shadows. Also need to take more care to limit backscatter.
Some of the best pictures were taken with only one strobe.
-
Hi, welcome. I won't be the first to say that photography is all about the light. The more options the better. I don't think you will be very happy with no strobe. Some folks can do amazing stuff but you're severely limited if you don't take some light with you. Lots of folks, pros and amateurs alike, shoot with one strobe and don't like the complexity, wt. and cost etc. of carrying two. If you want to check out some images shot with one strobe you can take a look at my Flickr page link below. All were shot with one. Sometimes the shadows created enhance the image, sometimes they don't. On my new setup I will carry two strobes, but I can always turn one off.

Steve
-
Shooting with one strobe is far better than using the built-in camera strobe.
I regularly shoot with one strobe, mainly for convience, but it also allows me more lighting control. The main thing you have to be aware of is strobe positioning. I think it is far better to learn underwater photography with one strobe, as it makes you aware of your lighting at all times.
As you appear to be using a compact camera the best advise I can give is go wide with the strobe for wide angle and bring it close for close-ups. By this I mean, if shooting wide angle or medium subjects move your strobe wide of the camera, this will minimise backscatter. When shooting macro, swing the strobe over the top of the camera, this will light the subject evenly and shooting close you have less issues with backscatter. Always reposition the strobe when switching from vertical to horizontal format.
One of the things I do like about using a single strobe is shadows. These can be harsh at times, but if used correctly will make the main subject standout. Shadows are natural and can be used to great effect. When using one strobe I always review the images to check the shadows around the subject and reposition the strobe to get the effect I desire.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Nigel