President Sarkozy now argues that fishing quotas should be eased because 'the fishing industry is a part of the French national identity'.
- 15Posts
- 15Replies
Read-only discussion
EU fishing quotas
-
-


I don't see how the fact that Sarkozy used make-up (and the amount of money spent on it) during his election campaign (btw the article also mentions he got "only" 12000 Euro reimbursed) has anything to do with his abilities/capabilities as the president of France and his decision making on fish quota as such. (Unless of course his brain is affected by sniffing the mascara off Carla Bruni's eyelids
)It's like trying to question (ridicule) Beckham's soccer talent by telling he likes to wear Victoria's underwear.
I think it's rather unlikely you will be taken serious in a discussion when you try to put someone in bad daylight by bringing on tabloid-like "faits divers".
But hey, if I missed the latest in Make-up Land, please feel free to fill me in...
-
Well many makeup products are/were made from fish parts. The shimmer gloss in lipsticks is from fish scales. In the old days, whale oil was used in making lipstick. Plenty of people take omega 500 pills (from fish) to look young and stay sharp. That's why Brigette Bardot has gone downhill and Carla is still as hot as she was in 89. Perhaps Monsieur Sarkozy is worried pearlescence makeup may go up in price?

Now on the frivolous issue of fisheries management, let's be clear on this... politicians are voted in. The french fishing population is pretty darn significant when you add them up. Plus they are very pro-active in defending their turf. The EU fisheries board is rife with politicians caving on conservation to appease voters. The only way is to have the majority of the voters convince them that the vocal minority have to live without subsidies. Is that going to happen? Je ne pense pas!
-
Thanks for that clarification, Drew.
-
WWF cries 'scandal' over French plans for fish quotas
20 January 2008, 15:02 CET
(BRUSSELS) - Global conservation group WWF described as a "scandal" Sunday suggestions by French President Nicolas Sarkozy that EU fishing quotas be eased, saying the limits must if anything be toughened.
"If Mr Sarkozy's idea is to soften the system to increase fishing opportunities, that's a scandal," Charles Braine, WWF's fisheries specialist, told AFP.
Faced with complaints about quotas and the high price of diesel, Sarkozy told some 300 fishermen Saturday that he would tackle the issue when his country takes over the European Union's rotating presidency in July.
"At the moment, when all the world is saying the resource (fish) is returning, there must be a more flexible response on quotas, whatever the species and locations where they're being caught," he said.
But Braine said: "It's quite populist" and "doesn't make sense", and he added that the EU should try to put in place a system that better protects fish stocks.
"The fact is, the EU's policy of quotas has failed. It has not passed the test because fish stocks are still low," he said. "Quotas handed out to different countries are systematically over-shot, leading to illegal fishing.
The European Commission adopts fishing quotas for the 27 nation EU in December each year, with the aim of ensuring that stocks can be sustained, based on scientific advice.
The 2008 quotas have been widely condemned by the French fishing industry, not least for demanding a 44 percent cut in the national herring and whiting catches, and 56 percent for mackerel.
Polish fishermen, too, have complained about cuts in quotas for Baltic cod.
The Commission's fisheries spokeswoman, Mireille Thom, said that Brussels welcomes "favourably all contributions to the debate on common fishing policy aimed at improving the management of fisheries in the EU".
She declined to comment further without more specific details about Sarkozy's intentions.
-
Now that you have removed the make-up from your original post I have no more questions or comments :-)
-
I dont get the make up part (even with the link from Bartus). Just keep in mind that when the scientist say one think (*) (say, you can catch 100 tons), the politics will argue that 150 tons is still allright, and the fishermen would want 200 tons.
* off course I meant thing, but i just enjoyed a third half....
-
I dont get the make up part (even with the link from Bartus)...
I'm not surprised ;-) Vincent edited his orginal post after my first comment. Initially it said: "Sarkozy, who spent 35.000 euro on make-up to become the president of France, now argues...." -
I thought Vincent was being facetious about Sarkozy's makeup (I mean he is in the media and the modern metrosexual guy does have to worry about looking bad on TV) to make a point about why fishing was important to Sarkozy. I guess I saw something (as only I would) that wasn't there. The original post had more amusing poignancy to it (for someone like myself) than just complaining about another politician appeasing his voters.
-
President Sarkozy now argues that fishing quotas should be eased because 'the fishing industry is a part of the French national identity'.
If he wants it to remain part of the French identity for generations to come he should fight for sustainable fishing, perhaps he can't "make up" his mind

Bart
-
Bart
I think Sarkozy believes the fishermen know best and want to preserve the stock more than the scientists. I'm sure that's what they tell him. Sarkozy is portraying himself as a man of the common people, immigrant father etc.
It'll be interesting to see how much more the EU can screw up their fisheries.
-
I thought Vincent was being facetious about Sarkozy's makeup (I mean he is in the media and the modern metrosexual guy does have to worry about looking bad on TV) to make a point about why fishing was important to Sarkozy. I guess I saw something (as only I would) that wasn't there. The original post had more amusing poignancy to it (for someone like myself) than just complaining about another politician appeasing his voters.
Unfortunately other people think this has to be a serious discussion, so that's why I removed the link. Conservation is not about amusement and must be taken very seriously!

Btw: how on earth can a guy spend 35.000 Euros on makeup? I was just totally flabbergasted by this fact. Can you imagine how old Sarkozy must look with no make-up on?
Maybe this comes close


-
Having met and talked with commercial and non commercial fisherman in So. Cal. I can see this is a universal problem. The fisherman I've met to a person are as concerned with maintaining a good environment and sustainable fishery as the most ardent environmentalist. Usually with a lot more practical knowledge of the situation than researches have.
The commercial fishermen usually have a large amount of money invested in equipment and boats. Greatly influencing their view and interpretation of fishing resources and how to manage them. They want to do the right thing but need to pay off their loans.
-
Btw: how on earth can a guy spend 35.000 Euros on makeup? I was just totally flabbergasted by this fact. Can you imagine how old Sarkozy must look with no make-up on?
I thought you lived in Europe?
Haircut by top stylist: €250
Hair Coloring by colorist: €150
Make up artist: €100
That's €450 an hour easy. And yes those are current prices at Autour de Christophe Robin. Plus the team has to follow Sarkozy around while campaigning. There is a price to looking 'FABulous'.
Having met and talked with commercial and non commercial fisherman in So. Cal. I can see this is a universal problem. The fisherman I've met to a person are as concerned with maintaining a good environment and sustainable fishery as the most ardent environmentalist. Usually with a lot more practical knowledge of the situation than researches have.Well Dave, seeing how fisher did such a good job with the sardines in CA and the salmon fishermen from Ca and US doing such a grand job, I'd just trust the objectiveness of a goofy researcher who doesn't have as much practical knowledge.

-
Having met and talked with commercial and non commercial fisherman in So. Cal. I can see this is a universal problem. The fisherman I've met to a person are as concerned with maintaining a good environment and sustainable fishery as the most ardent environmentalist. Usually with a lot more practical knowledge of the situation than researches have.
The commercial fishermen usually have a large amount of money invested in equipment and boats. Greatly influencing their view and interpretation of fishing resources and how to manage them. They want to do the right thing but need to pay off their loans.
Disagree, it is the fishing industry who puts pressure on politicians to relax fishing quotas despite having access to reliable data showing fish stocks are collapsing or on the brink of collapsing. If this is not irresponsible behavior then I don't know what is. The "right thing" as far as they are concerned is to keep keeping milking the cow until the milk runs out (so to speak) and when the it runs out they complain that they can not make a living any more, they are entitled to a living, blablabla, blablabla and therefore the state (i.e. the taxpayer) has to come up with the subsidies to support their way of living, for the reconversion of the industry, vocational training, etc, etc, after all in we are the Social Europe and everybody has the right to pursue whatever lifestyle one choses, even if it is not economic and environmentally sustainable...so if I decide to be a fisherman or a farmer I will be! and the rest of you will just have to put with the bill, it is my right as European!
Is it me or more and more politicians behave and look like cartoon characters...Superman Sarkozy?..?